1745Re: Twinkle Twinkle little boat

  • rljssn
    Jan 4, 2008
      I don't have Gerr's book yet so I suppose the spreadsheet would not
      help me much. Thanks for the offer though.

      Part of the problem is that I'm not sure what engine was supposed to go
      in these boats originally. Typical small sizes (3hp) were often cast
      iron, two stroke, make-n-break ignition. Above twenty horsepower they
      were often small marine four cylinder equipped from Grey marine or
      Redwing, etc. What were the in between marine motors like? A ten horse
      make-n-break is heavy. That could weigh as much as the hull! I would
      suppose the hull to be around 300-400lbs. This makes estimating the
      weight to horsepower difficult.

      I would think the tunnel would force the bow down in acceleration like
      on Mr. Whites RM. The jet of water from the tunnel would pull the water
      from transom and make it difficult to tell when she would be on plane.
      This design is right at the threshhold of a semi-planing boat. The
      concern is that she might not perform well unless very lightly loaded.
      If fuel mileage in this day were not a concern I would build a Little
      Water. :)
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic