1742Re: Twinkle Twinkle little boat

  • rljssn
    Jan 3, 2008
      Ken,

      Do you really think Twinkle will go that fast with 9hp? She is carvel
      built 7/8" cedar sides and bottom on sawn oak frames(heavy). The
      article does read that with 3hp she should make 6 mph. I was planning
      a ply laptrake Ellon Jessup outboard skiff but decided to go with an
      inboard design after inspiration by the writings of the late Mr.
      White and his Rescue Minor skiff. This one has a simpler box tunnel
      than the RM. With a less efficient tunnel and alot smaller engine she
      should be a bit slower...but how much?

      I was also thinking around 14mph (just guessing). I can't judge these
      tunnel boats so well. Has anyone worked up the wheels for these
      Atkin's tunnel boats?
      thanks,
      Russell

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > Hi Russ,
      >
      > I would guess that this boat should not be driven any faster than
      15-20
      > mph. One clue here is the last sentence in the description where
      Atkin
      > says:
      >
      > "Remember Twinkle is not a racing boat."
      >
      > The hull design with its straight run and flat bottom aft suggest
      that
      > it is designed to be a planing boat, so it could probably be driven
      > faster than this with a bigger engine.
      >
      > But if you use a 10 HP inboard and it won't push the boat faster
      than
      > say 15 mph, higher theoretical speeds won't really matter anyways.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com