1686Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Willy Winship - any body built one? Can help answering some questions?

    Oct 23, 2007
      Nowadays it makes sense to make the mast hollow, using the "birdsmouth"
      method (Google "birdsmouth mast" and you'll find plenty of info). You can
      resaw lesser quality lumber to get good "staves" and even scarf together
      shorter pieces to make them, if necessary. Easier than finding a good
      solid stick. I missed your location, if you told us, but suitable Douglas
      fir is usually available in the west, and spruce on the east coast. Don't
      go to Home Despot or other big box stores, find a real lumber yard that
      sells to builders. Make the hollow mast 4% larger in diameter than the
      solid stick, and make the staves so the least thickness of the mast walls
      is 20% of the diameter (sorry, I can't find the easy way to calculate this
      right now...). You could also do a triangular hollow mast, as shown in the
      article by John Atkin I recently put online.

      Duckworks sells sails for a good price, and I've heard good things about
      them (the sails, Duckworks is better than "good" <g>):

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/sails.htm

      On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:38:58 -0700, Tim wrote:

      > OK, next question... where can I find 20 feet of fir to make the mast?
      > What about the
      > sails, anyone know of a good sailmaker that could make the sails for
      > this boat?

      To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality
      in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. <George
      Santayana>
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic