      From: piper_tim <timrein@...>
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 6:47 am
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Willy Winship - any body built one? Can help answering some questions?

      Hi Don,

      OK, I'm with you so far. I understand lofting and this boat was choosen due to the simple
      lofting required. And I understand the strongback and mold height.

      What I'm confused about is when the actual frames get attached to the hull. Are they
      attachehd to the molds and glued in when the sides and bottom is glued in OR are they
      added when the boat is 'rightsided' and the molds are removed?

      Most books covering the subject are talking about steam bent oak frames that attach to
      the mold before the planking is attached, or they're talking about glued lapstrake in which
      the frames are added after the boat is taken off the mold.

      I think this boat may falll into the second catagory. I just want to make sure that the
      whole thing doesn't 'spring back' when I remove the strongback and molds.

      Thanks,
      Tim

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...> wrote:

      > Great question.
      > Here is what I would do. When you loft the boat, draw a line parallel to the base line
      about a foot above the top of the sheer. Lofting is an exercise in spatial imagining so
      think of this line as your future shop floor. Then when you draw in the frame sections
      extend them up to the shop floor line and do this on the body plan when you make your
      frame patterns. What this does in give you a level start for all the frames to build the boat
      upside down and everything will automatically be at the correct height. Your frames
      become your permanent molds so don't forget to bevel the edges correctly and run a
      batten after mold/frame setup to verify everything is fair. Erect these over a strongback
      frame with a cross spall at some point determined in the lofting to be the top of the
      strongback frame.
      > Greg Rossel's book shows some illustrations of this as do several other books that talk
      about building a boat upside down. Glen L Witt has a book, "Boatbuilding With Plywood"
      that covers this in detail for the frame construction but not the lofting part. Chapelle also
      discusses this in "Boatbuilding". Trying doing the lofting to a small scale and you will see
      what I mean and have an idea of what to plan for when you do the actual lofting.