1660Re: [AtkinBoats] Normand stern

  • Kenneth Grome
    Sep 26, 2007
      I like the Normand stern on Shoals Runner, I think it will make the boat
      behave like a double-ender in a following sea.

      Shoals Runner also has a rudder that is better protected than the other
      tunnel-stern boats with its steel shoe extending from the aft bottom of
      the box keel past the end of the rudder then up onto the transom. This
      should make backing this boat safer for the rudder than any of the
      other tunnel-stern boats in the Atkin fleet.

      But I'm not sure the Normand stern is used for the reason you
      described ...

      It is my understanding that a rudder on an inboard powered boat is never
      turned more than 30 or 40 degrees or it will stall out because of the
      high angle of attack, and then it will behave like a brake instead of a
      rudder. When I look at the Tolman Seabright I'm building -- which
      theoretically has the same keel, prop and rudder locations as Rescue
      Minor -- it looks like the rudder would have to turn more than 70
      degrees in order to divert water across the chines.

      I think there must be another reason for the Normand stern. I have
      always thought it was used as an elegant way to give the
      boat "double-ender" performance without bending the aft sides toward
      the center line.

      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks

      > I think the reason Shoals Runner has the Normand stern is to get the
      > rudder out of the tunnel. On most of the other tunnel types the chine
      > is high enough for the prop wash deflected by the rudder to go under
      > it and out to the side. On Shoals Runner the low chine would block
      > the flow from a rudder inboard of a square stern. The alternative
      > would be an outboard rudder like on Sandpiper which also has low
      > chines. Several people have said that they did not care for the
      > Normand stern. They might need to think through any changes.
      > Charles

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic