1626Re: Best Design

  • snaglefriz
    Aug 4, 2007
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel" <samang2@...> wrote:

      > I would like to ask what would be the best Atkin design to go on a
      > world cruise with. There will be four of us. I am looking for something
      > around 40-50 feet. It will be built of wood.

      I have built a few small boats for fun. I must warn you, when I was 10
      years old my buddies and me built our first boat. Dang, it sank!!! We
      thought wood floated. Upon seeing our failure this old timer proceeded
      to explain words like Displacement and Stability. With a few
      modifications our boat did float and many of us have since built
      floating boats. But, I am not a Master Boat builder.
      I have seen people in smaller sailboats than what you mention and they
      did admit bigger would been better. I look and see 5 boats in your range.
      Now we need the process of elimination. Fist consider sails. Missie
      and Laurie is a Sloop one mast big sails. I would scratch this one off
      my list. In my opinion a Ketch/Yawl spread out the sail area over 2
      masts and you may find this more manageable. So, now you down to four
      boats. Now Magpie, this a Schooner. This a nice boat, but, may be a
      little hard to handle the a Ketch/Yawl. So, I would scratch this boat
      off my list. Now, I/We have 3 to choose.
      I like the Gaff-Rigs, the sails can be shortened easier for myself and
      they look good. Also, with some thinking the sails can be designed so
      you have a "Topsail" over the Main Sail. It gives it a Marconi look.
      Many refer to the 3 sided or triangular sail as a Marconi Sail getting
      this name for its similarity to the Radio Towers built by Guglielmo
      Marconi. Marconi Sails use more stays for support. OK, lets look at
      our last 3 boats. Well, that was easy, Vega has a Gaff mainsail, this
      could be shorter and a Top Sail made to fit above. True, we can
      probably make the other 2 boats Gaff-Rigs as well with some thought.
      Now, as I said at the first, I no Master Boat builder, never built a
      boat over 20 feet actually. And I not know a lot of sail design as I
      just used sails that came with the bigger boats, which are Marconi
      Sails. My brother has 2, one is a 24' the other 32' both day-sailers.
      So, from my quick look and elimination, for "Myself" I would probably
      go with the Vega. It seems to have a nice layout below with Berths in
      the Stern for people and a forward berth.
      Now here some more thought on my part. Resistance to Capsize. This is
      a complicated math that I know nothing about, but, there is a simple
      formula many have used and I use it to figure my number. What "I" have
      been told, is the number should be less than "2" anything above that
      number will be more vulnerable to capsizing in rough conditions. I
      not sure how big a deal this would be and not a Naval Architect. I
      tried to crunch the numbers and it seem to be 5+ which may be
      something a person want to consider. Here how the math works.
      Divide boat weight by 64 for salt water, 62.2 for fresh water (this
      gives the boat volume in cubic feet). Divide the boat's beam by the
      "Cubed Root" of that sum and you get your number. Now calculators not
      have a cube function, or, mine does not. So, I have to Guess and work
      from that as I am not a Math Whiz. Let's look at Vega for example
      (Hope I understand the math).
      Vega says a Displacement of 40,500 and seems like a nice cruiser.
      40,500 / 64 = 632.81
      Now we find the cube and I start with 8. So, 8 x 8 x 8 = 512.
      9x9x9=729. So, somewhere in between is my number. 8.585 x 8.585 x
      8.585 = 632.73 close enough for me. It say her Breadth is 12 feet,
      sounds like beam to me. ;-) So, 12 / 8.858 = 1.35 and that looks good
      to me, it less than 2. I can see Vega be a good heavy cruiser that
      should hold her own in bad weather. She has a nice looking keel and
      lots of Ballast. I wish we had a picture of her finished in the water,
      to see how she really look.
      Next thing is Ballast. I asked here about Ballast and as of now no
      answer. But, Lead not cheap. Also, I not sure of subing from the
      Plans. Some thoughts I have on getting Ballast Cheap. Search around
      for old wood boats that ready for the Fireplace. They may have your
      lead and come free for the taking with some labor. May have to
      dismantle and burn the wood, but, you may have your lead.
      Well, I hope this help some, I no Guru of boats, but, this how I have
      narrowed my choices for something in the 30 + feet range. Good Luck!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic