1572Re: Rescue Minor "Bingey" launched

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Jul 9, 2007
      Curtis,

      Congratulations on the launch, and I like the choice of name. Photo #3
      shows a lot of water that you are dragging around in that cavity. How
      can you ever get it trimmed with such a large, changeable, weight in
      the stern? Is there any way to seal around the temporary lower unit?
      Any hogging is not evident in the low resolution photos. How severe is it?

      Great job in a timely manner!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

      > Photos in album (page 2 of photos section).
      >
      > Performance: with 6 hp outboard, about 6 kts.
      > 25 hp, kind of interesting - above 12 kts, bow dives and handling
      > becomes wild. Don't dare to get anywhere near full throttle.
      > Steering is very sensitive, trim has a major impact. Offsetting
      > the prop a bit seems to help, but works best to turn it one way at
      > low speed, the other at high (I forget which is which).
      >
      > The discussions about "suction" - not a problem. Water gushes up
      > through the loose hole for the lower unit; at 12 knots it has risen
      > to the transom and surges out the deck scuppers. I suppose I could
      > calculate out how much pressure that is (about 16"?), and how much
      > lift would be generated without the hole.
      >
      > Lots of prop ventilation from even relatively small waves, but I
      > haven't tried it with a wide variety of load and trim combinations.
      >
      > One possible cause of "porpoising" might be a bit of hogging, as a
      > result of weld distortions in the hull. I ground out some of that
      > curve, but still need to work on it some more.
      >
      > Anybody care to help out with sea trials? Bath, Maine area.
      >
      > I am away from the computer most of the summer, but can be reached
      > at 2O7 - 65O - 3235.
      >
      > Curtis, aka Sal's Dad

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic