      From: sals_dad
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:19 AM
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Rescue Minor "Bingey" launched

      The Rescue Minor is getting close. Hull is complete (if ugly) and
      last night I shoved it off the "landscaper" trailer and crunched it
      over sharp gravel into the water. I just love the metal hull, and
      workboat finish.

      I don't have power in yet, and plan to start out trials with a 6 hp
      outboard, before putting on the 25. I think I explained in an
      earlier post, and illustrated in the photos section, how the
      temporary outboard installation will work. With all the unknowns
      about power requirement, reduction gears, reverse, props, and angled
      alignment, it seems best to try out a number of alternatives before
      making a commitment.

      For the time being, steering will be with a push-pull tiller. Since
      the center of the "lazarette" is free-flooding, I dispensed with any
      rudder shaft seal or bearings; for now it's just an aluminum shaft
      through an hole drilled in the aluminum bottom, with a lower section
      of shaft resting on a plastic disc set into a hole drilled partway
      into the skeg. So I expect some wear, but we'll see.

      Pushing it alongside the Bolger Diablo, it moved right along, even
      showing a hint of rooster tail. The hull weighs about 550 lbs
      empty, and was very tender stepping in at the dock.

      Next step, trials with low power, and photos. Anybody in the
      midcoast Maine area want to play this weekend?

      Curtis -- aka Sal's Dad