1465An alternate engine for Restless ...

  • Ken Grome
    Feb 19, 2007
      I don't remember what size or horsepower engine you're looking for, and the
      Restless web page only provides numbers for cubic inch displacement and
      engine weight, not recommended horsepower:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Restless.html

      ... but Kawasaki makes a nice looking power plant that appears to be a good
      fit for some inboard designs. These two links show the biggest (29 HP) and
      smallest (16 HP) in Kawasaki's line of overhead valve water-cooled v-twin
      engines. They have five more models in between these sizes:

      http://www.kawpowr.com/4cycle/horiz_fd791d.asp
      http://www.kawpowr.com/4cycle/horiz_fd501d.asp

      The ATV guys rave about these engines. Maybe they know something that the
      boating community does not?

      If Restless needs more HP than one of these engines can provide, a person
      might buy and install two of them. Two of the largest 29 HP Kawasaki's will
      weigh a total of only 250 pounds -- and that's 100 pounds LESS than the
      engine weight specified by William Atkin.

      Just think, a twin-engine Restless with a total of 58 HP, and each engine
      driving its own propeller. Two completely independent drive systems for the
      ultimate in safety and redundancy.

      And wow, what a hot rod!

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      On Tuesday 20 February 2007 07:07:51 am John Kohnen wrote:
      > Yep, that Westerbeke is mighty expensive! <whew!> It's a marinized Mazda
      > industrial engine, BTW.
      >
      > I looked at the GM 1600 Vortec and it looks pretty good on paper. It's not
      > just something they yanked out of a cheap economy car. It's kinda revvy
      > for a marine engine, but it might work alright running at lower RPM, and
      > lower hp.:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/2sqoj5
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/3dc6pd
      >
      > You might consider getting a Kubota industrial engine and mating it to a
      > reverse gear. If you use a keel cooler (let into the bottom planking) you
      > really don't need to do much marinizing. Robb White used a Kubota in his
      > "Rescue Minor" with a jackleg reverse and a keel cooler. He used an
      > agricultural diaphragm pump and some imagination for cooling the exhaust:
      >
      > http://www.engine.kubota.ne.jp/english/catalog/
      >
      > Glen-L has some runabout designs more suited for overpowering than
      > Restless, many designed by Ken Hankinson:
      >
      > http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=9
      >
      > On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:46:36 -0800, darryl wrote:
      > > Below is an email from a Westerbeke dealer in California concerning the
      > > W70GA engine I
      > > was considering for Restless.
      > >
      > > Dear Mr. Hammonds,
      > > Thank you for your inquiry on the Westerbeke W-70GA. Pricing is as
      > > follows:
      > > W-70 w/ ZF 25M 2.7:1 Transmission 11,232.00 + Shipping
      > > W-70 - Bobtail 8,698.00 + Shipping.
      > > This engine would have to be built and shipped from Westerbeke in
      > > Taunton, MA.

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks