1464Re: [AtkinBoats] Re:Has anyone ever actually built Restless?

    Feb 19, 2007
      Yep, that Westerbeke is mighty expensive! <whew!> It's a marinized Mazda
      industrial engine, BTW.

      I looked at the GM 1600 Vortec and it looks pretty good on paper. It's not
      just something they yanked out of a cheap economy car. It's kinda revvy
      for a marine engine, but it might work alright running at lower RPM, and
      lower hp.:

      http://tinyurl.com/2sqoj5

      http://tinyurl.com/3dc6pd

      You might consider getting a Kubota industrial engine and mating it to a
      reverse gear. If you use a keel cooler (let into the bottom planking) you
      really don't need to do much marinizing. Robb White used a Kubota in his
      "Rescue Minor" with a jackleg reverse and a keel cooler. He used an
      agricultural diaphragm pump and some imagination for cooling the exhaust:

      http://www.engine.kubota.ne.jp/english/catalog/

      Glen-L has some runabout designs more suited for overpowering than
      Restless, many designed by Ken Hankinson:

      http://www.boatdesigns.com/departments.asp?dept=9

      On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:46:36 -0800, darryl wrote:

      > Below is an email from a Westerbeke dealer in California concerning the
      > W70GA engine I
      > was considering for Restless.
      >
      > Dear Mr. Hammonds,
      > Thank you for your inquiry on the Westerbeke W-70GA. Pricing is as
      > follows:
      > W-70 w/ ZF 25M 2.7:1 Transmission 11,232.00 + Shipping
      > W-70 - Bobtail 8,698.00 + Shipping.
      > This engine would have to be built and shipped from Westerbeke in
      > Taunton, MA.

      I have no truck with lettuce, cabbage, and similar chlorophyll.
      Any dietician will tell you that a running foot of apple strudel
      contains four times the vitamins of a bushel of beans. <S. J.
      Perelman>
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic