1278Re: Rescue Minor Model

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Sep 2, 2006
      Sigh!! I sure wish I had a set of plans in front of me so that I
      could join in this discussion. Oh what the heck, I'm going to stick my
      oar in the water anyway.

      I think that you are basically correct although the downward curve of
      the top of the tunnel aft seems to be very slight. Having only the
      lines in the on-line catalog available, the first photo shows a stern
      view drawing and the aft opening of the tunnel shows a straight line
      from the apex of the inverted V (at the transom) to the chine. The
      left hand side of the lines drawing also shows the same straight line,
      with a hint of slightly higher elevation at station 11.

      The profile view shows a hint of downturn starting at the propeller
      (station 11 1/4). However it is confusing in that the top of the
      rudder curves downward more (makes sense) and the eye tries to follow
      the curve of the rudder.

      Could you scale the plans (or measure from your full size loft-up) the
      actual amount of this downturn of the top of the tunnel to the transom
      and let us know. It has to be there, as quoting from Atkins "Under way
      at top speed the draft will remain at 6 inches." implying no squat aft
      because of the tunnel. In addition, Mr. White also wrote of this
      phenomena of the stern rising as one approached top speed (and not
      disturbing the sand dollars in six inches of water.)

      I need to part with $75 and get me a set of plans.

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "windmill4048" <baileyd4048@...> wrote:

      > Ok, please help me understand what I am looking at in the plans.
      >
      > In both the framing and line drawing plans there is an arched line
      > shown running from the transom to just foreward of sta. 9. In the
      > framing plans this is shown as a solid piece of wood from the middle
      > of sta. 10-11 to the transom. That piece of wood is shown as the
      > top of the tunnel and over the rudder and prop.
      >
      > What am I looking at?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic