      From: Lewis E. Gordon
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:40 PM
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Lewis' Boat

      Thanks for the replies. SkiffAmerica looks neat, but as you say, would
      be too heavy in plank on frame. For lack of a suitable Atkins design,
      the leading candidates thus far are (1) Bolger's 21' Fishermans Launch
      (2) Gardner's 18' Down East Workboat and (3) Gardner's 20' 3" Semi-V
      Garvey. Both Gardner designs are in the book More Building Classic
      Small Craft. The garvey is attractive because of the ability to nose
      up on a shallow bank and let the "cargo" step out onto dry land
      without getting their feet wet. And Culler's 18' Fast Outboard is
      still in the running.

      Rob, why don't you start up a Gardner Yahoo Forum? I have thought
      about the idea, but I just don't have the bandwidth down here to do a
      good job of monitoring. He has a lot of suitable semi-dory skiffs in
      his books, but I just don't want another flat-bottomed boat. I have
      the 15 Foot Flattie Skiff half done. (To use a 5 HP motor I have
      available.) Maybe my problem is that I have too many motors!

      Granada, Nicaragua

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
      > SkiffAmerica would be too heavy in plank on frame. I'd stick with
      something designed for it. Culler or Atkin, probably. MIght also look
      through the Gardner books. I seem to remember a semi-dory power skiff
      that might work. Can't remember whether it was in Classic Small Craft
      or the Dory Book.