1170Re: Flat Bottoms

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Jul 8 10:07 AM
      Dennis,

      Excelsior is certainly an interesting design, but the Atkins called
      her a "flat bottom canoe", not a skiff. With such a narrow bottom and
      flaring sides, it seems to show some dory ancestory. The nearest
      "skiff" in size to Excelsior that I could find is the cat-rigged James
      Samuel. I remember old magazine and books praised J. Samuel as a
      decent lake sailor. A little bit longer at 23' 3" is the
      Pirogue-Rigged Cruising Sharpie (skiff if under 20' or so)
      Rumbletumbleann shown with a cabin, but could be built as an open
      boat. Reuel Parker's "The Sharpie Book" talks about the sailing
      qualities of such skiffs.

      Excelsior looks fast, but the daggerboard just would not work as well
      as a centerboard for my local waters. (A very large lake with lots of
      submerged rocks and ledges.) Also, all the standing rigging would be a
      bother to me compared to the simplicity of Rumbletumbleann's rig. But,
      for pure speed in that length, Excelsior would be tough to beat!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

      > The Atkins loved skiffs, it seems, and built them in a variety of
      > sizes. They waxed poetic about their virtues (let's leave aside the
      > ease of construction) with respect to their sailing qualities and I am
      > almost convinced by their prose. However, I would like to hear from
      > some skiff sailors who have experience with the type. I know John
      > Kohnen owns and sails one. Are they as worthy as the Atkins seem to
      > think? I would appreciate any feedback since I am particularly
      > interested in the larger sized open skiffs (e.g., Excelsior). Thanks,
      > Dennis

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic