1029Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Jane

    Apr 28, 2006
      Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
      very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
      was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
      when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
      found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
      anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
      the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
      but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
      gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
      old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
      these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
      live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
      sooner...

      On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

      > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
      > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
      > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
      >
      > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
      > know.

      When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
      land. <Samuel Johnson>
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic