1017Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Jane

    Apr 28, 2006
      I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything to add.
      But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a British
      Jupiter sloop which had a folding bracket for a butchered trolling motor
      mounted right on the rudder and that reminded me of Dave's problem. I
      won't suggest butchering an outboard or trying to make a folding bracket,
      but Economy Jane's rudder is pretty substantial and I think a motor mount
      fitted to the side of it would work better than any mount on the side of
      the hull. From what I've seen, motors mounted on the side of a boat work
      fine in calm weather with flat seas, but once the boat starts rolling a
      little bit (and it doesn't take much) the propeller lifts out of the
      water, and then the head alsmost get dunked when the boat rolls back. :o(

      On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 -0800, Dave Judd wrote:

      > I was thinking about a side bracket and long shaft so it looks like I'm
      > not alone with that.

      When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
      land. <Samuel Johnson>
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic