New Member Intrro

  • beausabreur52
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hello---

      I'm researching my mother's side of the family who came from
      Austria and am totally stuck on how to begin.

      My gggrandfather's (anglicized) name was Frank Lingly. According to
      the 1880 census, he was born in Tyrol and naturalization papers say
      he came from the port of LeHavre, France to America in 1869. He was
      naturalized in Indiana in 1873 and renounced alligience to the
      Emporer of Austria.

      I haven't found anything on the passenger lists close to his name so
      far; but I have found the surname 'Lengle' represented heavily in the
      Austrian province of Vorarlberg. And, in 1869, Vorarlberg was part of
      Tyrol. Some researchers in the past told me that the anglicised
      pronunciation of the name sounded closer to a Swiss than South German
      dialect.

      Anyway, I only have an approximate time of his birth, with would
      likely have been mid-1851 to mid-1852. Any suggestions on where to
      look on this one?