Re: [AtGeVol] Beginning geneology

  • E. Grillmair
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
      Hello, Todd -

      Try www.herold.at/ , the Austrian phone book. There are a lot of Winningers
      listed, especially in eastern Austria. It seems they are concentrated near
      Amstetten in the province of Niederoesterreich (Lower Austria). It may seem
      a lot of work, but I would try sending letters to all these people (in
      English, as most of the younger generation learn this language now in
      school). Somehow I would guess that families might remember that one of
      their uncles or great-uncles has emigrated to the U.S.

      For the name of the village try www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp
      and see whether your "Schattau" can be found near to any of the Winninger
      places listed in the phone book.

      Good luck!
      Elfriede in Canada