Beginning geneology

  • goodfun1955
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8 8:49 AM
      Greetings from Florida!

      I have been wanting to get started with my geneology but didn't know
      where to start -- so decided to plunge right in. Any advice or
      direction for newcomers is appreciated...for instance, good reading
      or groups to join (like at the library for example).

      I've taken my tree back to my Great-grandfather Franz Winninger who
      emingrated from Austria to the United States between WWI and WWII.
      The family, from what I gather, is originally from a village outside
      Vienna called -- I'll try this phonetically -- Shot-tow, maybe
      spelled Schauttau?

      From the literal translation of our name, I think it means "a
      resident of Vienna (Wein)." However, I think there are others with
      the same name and I don't think we are related (common phenomenon,
      right?)

      I am interested in discovering more about my Great-grandfather's
      parents and siblings (which could be the source of these other
      unknown -- to me -- Winningers), and then going back as far as
      possible.

      Any suggestions or research done to date that can help me?

      Todd Winninger
      Boca Raton, FL
      FWinninger@...
    • E. Grillmair
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9 9:23 PM
        Hello, Todd -

        Try www.herold.at/ , the Austrian phone book. There are a lot of Winningers
        listed, especially in eastern Austria. It seems they are concentrated near
        Amstetten in the province of Niederoesterreich (Lower Austria). It may seem
        a lot of work, but I would try sending letters to all these people (in
        English, as most of the younger generation learn this language now in
        school). Somehow I would guess that families might remember that one of
        their uncles or great-uncles has emigrated to the U.S.

        For the name of the village try www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp
        and see whether your "Schattau" can be found near to any of the Winninger
        places listed in the phone book.

        Good luck!
        Elfriede in Canada