Kinelski in Vienna c. 1900

  • wytex2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2005
      I am researching for my late wife's grandmother, Marie Terese
      Kinelska, born abt 1887 in Vienna, immigrated alone to New York,
      U.S.A. in 1901 at age 15 years. The record of this is available on
      the Ellis Island website.
      Family history is that Marie's father was Josef Kinelski, born Krakow,
      Poland, and a diplomat in the Austrian government. He was Jewish,
      while his wife (name uncertain, possibly Catherine) was Catholic, and
      a native of Austria. Apparently they were all well educated as Marie
      is said to have spoken 7 languages fluently.
      After immigrating to the U.S., Marie married Walter Henry Bloomer c.
      1909, and they lived in New Jersey. They can be found in both the
      1920 Census for Middlesex County, and in the 1930 Census for Passaic
      County.
      I am aware that many Austrian records were destroyed in both World
      Wars, and that State records are likely nonexistent. However, it is
      possible that Church records may still exist, but I don't know how to
      find them, and I do not speak German.
      Marie's daughter still lives, and it would be a wonderful gift to her,
      as well as succeeding generations, if I could find out more about the
      family history in Austria. Marie did not speak much about her life
      there, nor her parents.
      Many thanks for any help.
      Cory