RE: [AtGeVol] Brichta, Brychta

  • Elfriede Grillmair
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2004
      Hello, Gennady -

      I would suggest that you take a look at the Austrian telephone book at
      http://www.etb.at . There are several dozen Brychtas listed and they all
      seem to live in or around Vienna, though none of them in Piesting. Since
      Brychta is not at all a common name, I wouldn't be surprised if they are all
      descendants of your great-grandfather's brothers. I would suggest that you
      write to all of them (I did that in my own search for uncommon names among
      my ancestors) and perhaps one of them is also interested in family history
      and can give you some information about your common ancestors. Though most
      Austrians learn English in school nowadays, be sure to write your letter in
      German, possibly including photocopies of the pictures you have.

      If you don't know any German, I could possibly help you out with the
      translation. I was born and raised in Vienna but emigrated to Canada nearly
      50 years ago. Also, I somehow can sympathize with your great-grandfather as
      several of my uncles and great-uncles had to serve on the Russian front
      during the First World War and I read many books about the lives of these
      war veterans who also got caught up in the Russian Revolution. You have
      quite an adventurous story to tell about your ancestor!

      Good luck in your search!
      Elfriede Grillmair
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada