[AtGen] Re: Austrian Geneaology

  • Ron Salzl
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
      mims_-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/atgevol/?start=112
      > I have relatives in Graz. Is anyone familiar with the surname Unger?
      > My great grandmother's brother is buried in a cemetary there, his name
      > was Anthony Tony Unger.
      > Sherri Mims

      Hi Sherri

      I have just started working on my own family tree. I have worked my way
      back from my own life in Canada to my Great-Great Grandfather Paul
      SALZL who emigrated from Wallern, Austria sometime in the 1800's.

      It was from the website of Konrad UNGER that I somehow found my way to
      this excellent e-group recently. I hope his website helps you get
      "into" Austria like it has me. Konrad UNGER has an excellent site and
      he has his family tree posted.

      http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/kunger/index.htm

      I don't see any Anthony's there but maybe it will get you started.

      Good Luck

      Ron Salzl
      Researching: SALZL, WEINZETL, LEIER, WEINHANDL,
      1800's(Wallern, Illmitz, Pamhagen, Burgenland)
      Emmigrated to Minnisota, and South Dakota USA.
    • CRoss87024@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
        My grandfather Andrew Marushi came to this country around 1900 (?) from
        Austria. My father always told me that this was not the correct spelling,
        that people at Ellis Island spellled it Marushi but the name was longer.
        Anyway, Andrew met and married Julia Sova, also from Austria, and finally
        settled in Logan, West Virginia. I have had absolutely no success in tracing
        the "Marushi" family back to Vienna. All I know is, as a young boy, my
        grandfather "traveled across a big mountain, down into a valley to Vienna to
        hear music in a beer hall." I also know that the government contacted my
        father after WWII wanting to buy the "Marushi farm" to use it as a Catholic
        convent. In order to sell the farm, my father would have had to have
        traveled to Vienna to sign papers, but he could not financially afford to do
        so. Can someone help me find my family in the old country????