Beta 1.98

  • ivaylo.stoynov
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2012
      Hello,

      In the site for all registered users are available the betas 1.98 and 1.98". They contain all the stuff that will be included in 2.00 (expect two more options in Settings dialog). The tooltips are not updated yet, so please ask if there is something unclear.

      I need some help with real tests :)

      Here are the points of interest:

      - DSLRs - everything should work as in version 1.97 plus some minor fixes and Meade focusers support. Please let me know if you see something strange or not working.

      - CCDs - addressed are all points that were discussed after the last tests
      1. needed are some tests with real cameras and scopes
      2. check if the APT FITS files can be read and stacked in the popular programs
      3. check if temperature control works as expected

      For CCD tests. Please don't waste whole night! Make some test shots and then continue using your previous program. APT should work fine, but I don't want to ruin a whole session. It is a beta :)

      It will be great if you can share with me your FITS saved with APT :)

      One more note. When 2.00 is released all active registrations will be extended with 6 months to compensate the log development time of this version :)

      Many thanks in advance for your help!

      Clear skies,
      Ivo
    • ivaylo.stoynov
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2012
        Hello,

        One more note. If you see error message that the file msvcr100.dll can't be found, please install the

        Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86):
        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

        or

        Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64):
        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

        I'll try fix this issue in the installation stage.

        Thanks,
        Ivo
      • ivaylo.stoynov
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 10, 2012
          Please let me know the what CCD camera you are using for the tests and the version of the ASCOM driver :)

          I'm building a CCD matrix and this info will be very valuable!

          Many thanks!
          Ivo
        • Ralph
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 11, 2012
            Hey Ivo:

            Does this beta version have auto focus or is it still in the planning stages? I have a Meade LX200GPS micro-focuser.

            Ralph

            --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > In the site for all registered users are available the betas 1.98 and 1.98". They contain all the stuff that will be included in 2.00 (expect two more options in Settings dialog). The tooltips are not updated yet, so please ask if there is something unclear.
            >
            > I need some help with real tests :)
            >
            > Here are the points of interest:
            >
            > - DSLRs - everything should work as in version 1.97 plus some minor fixes and Meade focusers support. Please let me know if you see something strange or not working.
            >
            > - CCDs - addressed are all points that were discussed after the last tests
            > 1. needed are some tests with real cameras and scopes
            > 2. check if the APT FITS files can be read and stacked in the popular programs
            > 3. check if temperature control works as expected
            >
            > For CCD tests. Please don't waste whole night! Make some test shots and then continue using your previous program. APT should work fine, but I don't want to ruin a whole session. It is a beta :)
            >
            > It will be great if you can share with me your FITS saved with APT :)
            >
            > One more note. When 2.00 is released all active registrations will be extended with 6 months to compensate the log development time of this version :)
            >
            > Many thanks in advance for your help!
            >
            > Clear skies,
            > Ivo

          • ivaylo.stoynov
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 11, 2012
              Hi Ralph,

              The auto focusing will be the main feature of 2.10 :)

              The beta is adding support for meade focusers, but looks there are still few problems...

              You can try it if you want. In Settings->Advanced there is a new option Meade focuser. Enable it. The make connection to the scope only and use the controls in the AutoStar section.

              Thanks,
              Ivo

              --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <ldesign1@...> wrote:

              > Hey Ivo:
              >
              > Does this beta version have auto focus or is it still in the planning stages? I have a Meade LX200GPS micro-focuser.
              >
              > Ralph
              >

              > --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > In the site for all registered users are available the betas 1.98 and 1.98". They contain all the stuff that will be included in 2.00 (expect two more options in Settings dialog). The tooltips are not updated yet, so please ask if there is something unclear.
              > >
              > > I need some help with real tests :)
              > >
              > > Here are the points of interest:
              > >
              > > - DSLRs - everything should work as in version 1.97 plus some minor fixes and Meade focusers support. Please let me know if you see something strange or not working.
              > >
              > > - CCDs - addressed are all points that were discussed after the last tests
              > > 1. needed are some tests with real cameras and scopes
              > > 2. check if the APT FITS files can be read and stacked in the popular programs
              > > 3. check if temperature control works as expected
              > >
              > > For CCD tests. Please don't waste whole night! Make some test shots and then continue using your previous program. APT should work fine, but I don't want to ruin a whole session. It is a beta :)
              > >
              > > It will be great if you can share with me your FITS saved with APT :)
              > >
              > > One more note. When 2.00 is released all active registrations will be extended with 6 months to compensate the log development time of this version :)
              > >
              > > Many thanks in advance for your help!
              > >
              > > Clear skies,
              > > Ivo

            • ivaylo.stoynov
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 11, 2012
                Hello,

                1.98 (not 1.98") is updated on the site. It should resolve the problem with EXIF temperature readings for all Digic V cameras.

                If somebody donwloaded it yesterday. Please use the new version.

                Thanks,
                Ivo
              • ivaylo.stoynov
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 12, 2012
                  Hello,

                  As results of feedback and tests are fixed/changed:

                  - Shoot button + RAW only quality + exposure <1s had no preview
                  - Location coordinates now allow fractional time zones for all our frineds in Australia, Canada, India and where else it is needed.
                  - Changes in the Meade focuser support. It is more responsive now.

                  Clear skies,
                  Ivo
                • ozpapafox
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 12, 2012
                    Hello Ivo

                    I just downloaded v1.98 beta to test with my QHY11S CCD - however rather a silly question - should there be an automatic recognition of my ASCOM-compatible camera or is there a drop-down list that I should use to select my QHY11S? I can't seemto find any means to connect APT to my camera

                    Cheers
                    Bill

                    --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > As results of feedback and tests are fixed/changed:
                    >
                    > - Shoot button + RAW only quality + exposure <1s had no preview
                    > - Location coordinates now allow fractional time zones for all our frineds in Australia, Canada, India and where else it is needed.
                    > - Changes in the Meade focuser support. It is more responsive now.
                    >
                    > Clear skies,
                    > Ivo

                  • ivaylo.stoynov
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 12, 2012
                      Hello Bill,

                      You have to select it only the first time. After that APT will automatically try to connect to the same camera when you click Connect button. :)

                      I don't know way to detect the camera without manual selection :(

                      Thanks!
                      Ivo

                      --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ozpapafox" <ozpapafox@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Ivo
                      >
                      > I just downloaded v1.98 beta to test with my QHY11S CCD - however
                      > rather a silly question - should there be an automatic recognition of
                      > my ASCOM-compatible camera or is there a drop-down list that I should
                      > use to select my QHY11S? I can't seemto find any means to connect APT to
                      > my camera
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Bill
                      >

                      > --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > As results of feedback and tests are fixed/changed:
                      > >
                      > > - Shoot button + RAW only quality + exposure <1s had no preview
                      > > - Location coordinates now allow fractional time zones for all our
                      > frineds in Australia, Canada, India and where else it is needed.
                      > > - Changes in the Meade focuser support. It is more responsive now.
                      > >
                      > > Clear skies,
                      > > Ivo

                    • ivaylo.stoynov
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 15, 2012
                        Hi Ralph,

                        Can you give a try of the new controls for Meade Focuser with your setup?

                        Thanks you!
                        Ivo

                        --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <ldesign1@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Ivo:
                        >
                        > Does this beta version have auto focus or is it still in the planning stages? I have a Meade LX200GPS micro-focuser.
                        >
                        > Ralph
                        >

                        > --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello,
                        > >
                        > > In the site for all registered users are available the betas 1.98 and 1.98". They contain all the stuff that will be included in 2.00 (expect two more options in Settings dialog). The tooltips are not updated yet, so please ask if there is something unclear.
                        > >
                        > > I need some help with real tests :)
                        > >
                        > > Here are the points of interest:
                        > >
                        > > - DSLRs - everything should work as in version 1.97 plus some minor fixes and Meade focusers support. Please let me know if you see something strange or not working.
                        > >
                        > > - CCDs - addressed are all points that were discussed after the last tests
                        > > 1. needed are some tests with real cameras and scopes
                        > > 2. check if the APT FITS files can be read and stacked in the popular programs
                        > > 3. check if temperature control works as expected
                        > >
                        > > For CCD tests. Please don't waste whole night! Make some test shots and then continue using your previous program. APT should work fine, but I don't want to ruin a whole session. It is a beta :)
                        > >
                        > > It will be great if you can share with me your FITS saved with APT :)
                        > >
                        > > One more note. When 2.00 is released all active registrations will be extended with 6 months to compensate the log development time of this version :)
                        > >
                        > > Many thanks in advance for your help!
                        > >
                        > > Clear skies,
                        > > Ivo

                      • ivaylo.stoynov
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 15, 2012
                          Hello,

                          The active beta is changed to 1.98.2 / 1.98.2" It contains all fixes so far plus a new installing procedure that resolves the problem with the missing msvcr100.dll.

                          Thanks,
                          Ivo
                        • ozpapafox
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 15, 2012
                            Ivo

                            What I meant is that when I start APT the first time after installation my QHY11S CCD camera (ASCOM compatible) is not detected nor can I select it from the "Camera" tab and the dialog at the bottom of the screen says "No Camera Detected" - therefore I cannot use APT to test out with my CCD imager

                            After this I connected to the Filter Wheel and it does work and also the PHD connection and it also works BUT since I shut down APT it now doesn't want to run any more and there is an "exception error" which I cannot read to let you know what it is because it is hidden behind the APT logo that shows when you run APT each time

                            My system is i7 CPU, Win7 Pro 64bit, 16GB RAM - running perfectly with all my current set up

                            Hope you can tell me how to connect to Camera choice as I don't have any to choose from!!

                            Cheers
                            Bill
                            from not so sunny Perth, DownUnder

                            --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Bill,
                            >
                            > You have to select it only the first time. After that APT will automatically try to connect to the same camera when you click Connect button. :)
                            >
                            > I don't know way to detect the camera without manual selection :(
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            > Ivo
                            >
                            > --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ozpapafox" ozpapafox@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello Ivo
                            > >
                            > > I just downloaded v1.98 beta to test with my QHY11S CCD - however
                            > > rather a silly question - should there be an automatic recognition of
                            > > my ASCOM-compatible camera or is there a drop-down list that I should
                            > > use to select my QHY11S? I can't seemto find any means to connect APT to
                            > > my camera
                            > >
                            > > Cheers
                            > > Bill
                            > >

                            > > --- In Astroplace@yahoogroups.com, "ivaylo.stoynov" <astro@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hello,
                            > > >
                            > > > As results of feedback and tests are fixed/changed:
                            > > >
                            > > > - Shoot button + RAW only quality + exposure <1s had no preview
                            > > > - Location coordinates now allow fractional time zones for all our
                            > > frineds in Australia, Canada, India and where else it is needed.
                            > > > - Changes in the Meade focuser support. It is more responsive now.
                            > > >
                            > > > Clear skies,
                            > > > Ivo

                          • ivaylo.stoynov
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 15, 2012
                              Hi Bill,

                              It is very strange... Can you make an experiment? Find the file APT.xml, open it with notepad. Then find the section LastCamera and replace the row with :

                              <LastCamera></LastCamera>

                              This should avoid the auto connection. To select the camera again hold Shift while you clicking on Connect button.

                              I just tested 1.98.2 with QHY5 and there is no strange behavior. Make sure that there is no other program running with connection to the camera?

                            • ozpapafox
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 15, 2012
                                OK Ivo

                                Thanks for the info - I now can connect and have re-installed the APT - clean install

                                I can use the program now by connecting the FW, Mount, etc but it keeps on crashing with error message of "Program not responding error" whenever I try to "Start"a plan that I newly created - ie when I start the imaging cycle

                                I am going to try this over again as it is now very late here in Perth and have to go to work tomorrow

                                Thanks for your help and I'll also download & install the latest version

                              • ivaylo.stoynov
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 16, 2012
                                  Hi Bill,

                                  Many thanks! What is the version of the ASCOM platform and QHY ASCOM driver? Are the the latest one?

                                • ozpapafox
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                    Hi Ivo

                                    Since I use a SiTech controlled Losmandy G11 - I'm using ASCOM6 (whatever is latest) and the QHY11S also uses the latest QHY drivers off their website - in fact Nebulosity2 & 3 as well as EzyCap (this is QHY's) runs without any more issues

                                    I haven't been able to do any testing since I last replied and downloaded the latest beta version of APT
                                    When I have done so I'll report back here Ivo

                                    Cheers

                                  • ivaylo.stoynov
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 18, 2012
                                      Hi Bill,

                                      Can you try if the Shoot button is working? Dave (a friend from Canada) has no problems with QHY8Pro...

                                      It is strange... EzyCap uses the native USB drivers, does Nebulosity use ASCOM?

                                    • ozpapafox
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 18, 2012
                                        Hello Ivo

                                        OK I've now tried the latest beta version 1.98.2 (as well as the previous initial one I tested 1.98") - they both exhibit the same issue :-

                                        1) ie when I used a plan that I created (eg 120secs exp / 1x1 bin / 5secs delay / 10 count) what happens is that whenever I trigger (click on) the "Start" button, I can see that APT executes the plan since I see the "Status" area which is the top left hand corner and it says D x" and counting up and when it reaches the numerical value of D 5" that is when it bombs/crashes out and Windows report an error of "... program not responding" etc

                                        2) When I click on "Shoot" instead it goes into "Bulb" mode and does capture whatever the exposure time I use

                                        3) I also noted that the TEC setting does not get saved when you change from the default of -10 deg  and when you quit APT and return to it again it shows -10 deg again

                                        My QHY11S uses the latest ASCOM drivers from the QHY website here: http://www.qhyccd.com/files/QHY11ASCOM-StarSenseSci-V11.exe
                                        I also use the Nebulosity ver3 directly off Stark-Labs downloads area - I have confirmed that the Nebulosity drivers used (these two; qhyusb.dll & qhycam.dll) are quite critical and they are actually matched to the same ones that QHY supplies on their website - this I know for a fact because I did a test for Craig Stark recently and discussed the two files usage with him

                                        However the QHY8 drivers provided in Nebulosity AFAIK are dedicated native drivers written by Craig specifically for that model

                                        So I am bit sad that I cannot use APT for the moment as I was looking forward to your incorporating the CCD imaging capability within other features/functions of APT as as you know I was an early adopter of
                                        APT

                                        Hope that you could resolve this issue (it could be me the user that is the "error" though!!)

                                      • ivaylo.stoynov
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 18, 2012
                                          Hi Bill,

                                          Many thanks for the help!

                                          We are on the right way :) In the case that Shoot button work we don't have problem with the ASCOM driver :) There is a bug in APT.

                                          Please send the file APT_Camera_1.log on the support mail. It can help to fix the problem.

                                          As for the TEC setting it comes from the ASCOM driver, looks like it defaults to -10. I'll take care to save the value and automatically to set it after restart.

                                          I'm leaving for an astro-party tomorrow morning (fingers crossed for clear skies), but it will be the first thing to look in Monday :)

                                        • ozpapafox
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 23, 2012
                                            Hello Ivo

                                            Just to let you know that I have already sent the APT_Camera_1.log file to your support email address yesterday

                                            Cheers
                                            Bill
                                            from now sunny Perth, DownUnder!

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 23, 2012
                                              Hi Bill!

                                              Many thanks and sorry for the delay!

                                              Regards,

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 24, 2012
                                                Hi Bill,

                                                I sent you a mail, but let announce it here too :) The crashing problem is fixed.

                                                Also I just added finctionality to keep the TEC setting between APT restarts. :)

                                              • ozpapafox
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 25, 2012
                                                  Hi Ivo

                                                  I've just tested the new EXE you provided and have sent you the log again as there seems to be other issues I have experienced with using it in "Simulator" modes; ie both the camera & FW were nominated as Simulators instead of the real gear (only because I have stripped my working gear and will re-test with them later tonite when I have finished my work)

                                                  Cheers
                                                  Bill
                                                  from sunny Perth, DownUnder!