Venus Transit Event

  • vijay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12 8:57 AM
      Dear All,

      We members of Tamil Nadu Astronomical Society ( TAS ) in association with Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project, Atlanta, USA, conducted Transit of Venus event for public at Elliots Beach, Besant Nagar,Chennai. On 6th June 2012 from sunrise till end of event around 10.22 am which was attended by nearly 3000 – 4000 individuals. Senior citizens & children who eagerly waited right from twilight and observed the event with enthusiasm. We distributed over 1500 certified imported solar goggles we also distributed nearly 2000 copies of astronomy booklets and about 5000 extensive write-up booklets on Venus transit in Tamil and English. Everything was given to the public free of cost. The goggles were sponsored by Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project, Atlanta, USA, the booklets were sponsored by Astronomers without borders, Geneva, Switzerland and the write ups were sponsored by Cameraciti, Chennai.

      We are currently affiliated with the following International astronomical organisations:

      1. Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project

      2. Astronomers Without borders

      3. Solar telescope (PST) group

      4. NASA Night Sky network

      We have attached few photos

      https://picasaweb.google.com/vijayorion/VenusTransitJune6th2012Event

      http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/article3496321.ece

      Regards,
      D.Vijayakumar,
      President,TAS
    • chandrainsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12 9:29 AM
        That's really good. Kudos to the team!

        --- In Astronomy_Activities_2009@yahoogroups.com, "vijay" <vijayorion@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >

        > We members of Tamil Nadu Astronomical Society ( TAS ) in association with Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project, Atlanta, USA, conducted Transit of Venus event for public at Elliots Beach, Besant Nagar,Chennai. On 6th June 2012 from sunrise till end of event around 10.22 am which was attended by nearly 3000 – 4000 individuals. Senior citizens & children who eagerly waited right from twilight and observed the event with enthusiasm. We distributed over 1500 certified imported solar goggles we also distributed nearly 2000 copies of astronomy booklets and about 5000 extensive write-up booklets on Venus transit in Tamil and English. Everything was given to the public free of cost. The goggles were sponsored by Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project, Atlanta, USA, the booklets were sponsored by Astronomers without borders, Geneva, Switzerland and the write ups were sponsored by Cameraciti, Chennai.
        >
        > We are currently affiliated with the following International astronomical organisations:
        >
        > 1. Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
        >
        > 2. Astronomers Without borders
        >
        > 3. Solar telescope (PST) group
        >
        > 4. NASA Night Sky network
        >
        > We have attached few photos
        >
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/vijayorion/VenusTransitJune6th2012Event
        >
        > http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/article3496321.ece
        >
        > Regards,
        > D.Vijayakumar,
        > President,TAS

      • Prakash Subbanna
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12 10:29 AM
          Dear Vijay,

          That is superb effort gone into bringing TOV to public. Aptly supported by beautiful images.

          Regards
          Prakash Subbanna ABAA.

          www.viewfinderonline.blogspot.com

          www.rightangleonline.blogspot.com