SPACE organized observations of century’s last VenusTransit across continents

  • spaceinnews
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10 11:41 PM
      The transit of Venus on June 6th, 2012 has marked a day in history as the citizens saw the century's last and rare celestial phenomenon. SPACE conducted public observations at various places to show a spectacular view when planet Venus passed the fiery face of sun. On the day of this rare celestial marvel, experts from SPACE organized and conducted observations at no. of places such as a public observation at Jantar Mantar, observations at SPACE associated schools, Udaipur Solar Observatory, and Tihar Jail in Delhi. SPACE also took an expedition to Shanghai and Beijing to witness the transit as the full transit was visible from there.

      A brief of these observations is below -
      • SPACE organized a Mass Observation in Jantar Mantar
      General public marked their presence in large numbers in Jantar Mantar in the early morning itself to see the Transit. SPACE had made necessary arrangements like telescopes projecting on screens, ball projectors, live webcast on screen and other equipments through which anyone and everyone observed this phenomenon. There was a footfall of close to 700 including students, parents, teachers and general public. Venus was witnessed moving across the sun. Everyone and specially students were excited and happy as they witnessed century's last Venus Transit.

      • Scientific Tour to Udaipur Solar Observatory
      SPACE collaborated with Udaipur Solar Observatory – the only of its kind in India. SPACE team of 10 experts conducted a public outreach program in the observatory premises. Approximately 500 general public joined SPACE to observe the Venus transit from Udaipur Solar Observatory. Scientists from the observatory and SPACE experts teamed for the transit.

      • Tihar Prison Officials witness Venus Transit with SPACE
      A team from space conducted scientific observation at Tihar jail premises. Space conducted a public outreach program for residential staff which gave them a once in a life time opportunity to observe the transit of Venus. More than three hundred people turned up including tihar staff and their family members.

      • SPACE conducted public outreach and observations in their associated CSE schools
      On the event of VENUS TRANSIT on 6th June, 2012, ASTRONOMY CLUB STUDENTS of Bal Bharati Public School (Pitampura), G.D Goenka (Rohini), Indraprastha School (Dwarka, Paschim Vihar) and Step by Step School (Noida) conducted observations for the students, parents and school staff in the school premises under the supervision of respective SPACE educators.
      Students were first trained by the SPACE Educator on Safe Solar Observation methods: Telescopic Projection and Ball Projector. They were told What is Transit of Venus, What is its significance, Why is it rare, Where will it be seen and How to observe it safely.
      Senior students did the activities like photography by camera using Solar Filter, Photography with a telescope by Projection Method, calculating the disk size of Sun and Venus. They have also witnessed the live webcast from Nepal, Shanghai and Udaipur Solar Observatory. Both Parents & students were really excited to see "Transit of Venus" as this was the Lifetime Event for all of us. They all enjoyed the observation and also gained a lot of knowledge about it. They were really happy to see their kids conducting observation & explaining the science behind it.

      • SPACE expedition to Shanghai witnessed the spectacular Venus Transit and share their experiences with the Consul General, Beijing
      The SPACE expedition with 47 students and teachers from different schools who had travelled to Shanghai specially to witness the Venus Transit headed by Mr. CB Devgun (President, SPACE) and Sneh Kesari (Educator, SPACE) who witnessed this historic moment. SPACE team placed their telescopes and ball projectors and the local public were also quite amused to see a group of Indian students doing science over there amongst the early morning joggers!! Teachers throughout the event guided the students and the public as how to do the observation & experiments. All the students could be seen working at the experiments like the small scientists!!
      The gathering was amazed to see the marvel of the planet Venus and the sun spots present in the sun and feel lucky to witness such a beautiful & rare Venus transit that will happen next only after 105.5 years in 2117.

      To see the pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/home
    • Ravi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11 1:07 AM
        Hi,

        Very nice work and report...The link of Picasa is just opening the homepage of picasaweb, I think it needs full address...waiting to see the photos of the event...

        Clear skies
        Ravi

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12 12:28 AM
          Hi Ravi,