Earth Hour

  • RAGHU KALRA
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2011
      Dear friends and colleagues

      It gives me immense pleasure to inform you that The Amateur Astronomers
      Association Delhi for the second time is collaborating with World Wildlife Fund
      India in the celebration of Earth Hour by organizing a special Sky watch at
      India gate, Delhi.

      As you are aware Earth Hour is a very dear event for all us astronomers, and
      many of us have been religiously following Earth Hour since it first started in
      2007 in Australia. It then had reached to 2.2 million people, last year in 2010
      Earth Hour reached more than 1.3 billion people from around the world. This year
      I am sure it will reach many many more people.

      It is important that all us amateurs should support these events. I urge you all
      to take active part in Earth hour. A suggestion would be that you all take your
      telescopes out in the streets and tell people how beautiful the sky will become
      if we switch off the unnecessary lights.

      I am sure Astronomy clubs and societies in Bangalore, Bhuj, Ahmadabad,
      Mumbai,kolkata, etc can take active in these events. Institutes like IIA, IUCAA,
      IITs can also be a part of this.

      In fact I really think Astronomy clubs around India should do
      a corroborative job and organize something at pan India level. Please write to
      me at raghukalra@... if you think we can do something useful in
      spreading astronomy to public after IYA2009

      If you wish to see more about Delhi Earth Hour Sky watch please do have a look
      at www.aaadelhi.org

      Raghu

      PS Do switch off lights 8:30-9:30 pm on March 26th, 2010.... for more on earth
      hour : www.earthhour.in