Daytime Venus Occultation, Devsthal report

  • Ajay Talwar
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2010
      Hello Fellow Astronuts,

      Another Venus Occultation observation!

      I could successfully capture the emersion of Venus from behind Moon, with the crescent moon also captured in the video, although the contrast between the sky and moon is quite low. I was quite lucky to get clear blue skies at Devsthal for the three days I was there. On 15th night I setup the 8" telescope, polar aligned and clicked a few deep sky objects. On 16th, the day of the occultation the instruments were ready to go, centered Sun using a full aperture filter, synchronised using starry Night software and simply did a Venus goto. I could see and capture Venus starting from noon, but Moon was different. The crescent was quite faint and was not visible through the 8" f/10 scope. In the piggybacked refractor, Sky Watcher 102mm f/5 it was barely there. (Maybe IAO, Hanle @ 4.5km would have been better site)

      The live view from DSLR camera Canon 450D was fed to the laptop screen, a video camera pointed to the screen inside a makeshift dark room made of large cartons. The video camera was recording as well as feeding Aaj Tak OB van so it could be broadcast live, but Aaj Tak never did broadcast live as some important news came up at the last minute in Delhi. They said they would make a 20 min programme and air it later. I wonder if it was actually aired that night.

      Devsthal is a beautiful site, 50 kms east of the existing Nainital observatory, easily reached by road. I had set up my telescope on a nice meadow, surrounded by pine and oak at a distance. I must thank ARIES observatory, Prof. Ram Sagar & Dr. Wahab Udding for permission and all facilities provided to me at Devsthal during my 3 night stay there.

      I'd like to share the video I made of the event & two star trail photos at the end of the video which I shot at Devsthal, including the 22inch telescope installed on this site. The video is here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNoFvnq4j8

      Hope you like the 5 minute video.

      Ajay Talwar

    • cb
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2010
        Hi Ajay,
        Nice video, especially when you got it fro the live view off the 450d!!! congrats!

        Regards
        C B Devgun
        President
        Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators
        National Coordinator, India, World Space Week
        chander.devgun@...
        09810226297, 09250901015

        CONFIDENTIALITY INFORMATION AND DISCLAIMER
        "This e-mail message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. It should not be accessed by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have erroneously received this message, please delete it immediately and notify the sender. The recipient acknowledges that SCIENCE POPULARISATION ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNICATORS AND EDUCATORS (S.P.A.C.E Group), is unable to exercise control or ensure or guarantee the integrity of/over the contents of the information contained in e-mail transmissions and further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of SPACE. Before opening any attachments please check them for viruses and defects."

        --- In Astronomy_Activities_2009@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Talwar <ajaytalwar80@...> wrote:

        > Hello Fellow Astronuts,
        >
        > Another Venus Occultation observation!
        >
        > I could successfully capture the emersion of Venus from behind Moon, with the crescent moon also captured in the video, although the contrast between the sky and moon is quite low. I was quite lucky to get clear blue skies at Devsthal for the three days I was there. On 15th night I setup the 8" telescope, polar aligned and clicked a few deep sky objects. On 16th, the day of the occultation the instruments were ready to go, centered Sun using a full aperture filter, synchronised using starry Night software and simply did a Venus goto. I could see and capture Venus starting from noon, but Moon was different. The crescent was quite faint and was not visible through the 8" f/10 scope. In the piggybacked refractor, Sky Watcher 102mm f/5 it was barely there. (Maybe IAO, Hanle @ 4.5km would have been better site)
        >
        > The live view from DSLR camera Canon 450D was fed to the laptop screen, a video camera pointed to the screen inside a makeshift dark room made of large cartons. The video camera was recording as well as feeding Aaj Tak OB van so it could be broadcast live, but Aaj Tak never did broadcast live as some important news came up at the last minute in Delhi. They said they would make a 20 min programme and air it later. I wonder if it was actually aired that night.
        >
        > Devsthal is a beautiful site, 50 kms east of the existing Nainital observatory, easily reached by road. I had set up my telescope on a nice meadow, surrounded by pine and oak at a distance. I must thank ARIES observatory, Prof. Ram Sagar & Dr. Wahab Udding for permission and all facilities provided to me at Devsthal during my 3 night stay there.
        >
        > I'd like to share the video I made of the event & two star trail photos at the end of the video which I shot at Devsthal, including the 22inch telescope installed on this site. The video is here:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNoFvnq4j8
        >
        > Hope you like the 5 minute video.
        >
        > Ajay Talwar

      • taralaya BASE
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2010
          Very captivating!
          The advantage of this yahoo group is that you get to share such beautiful sights although you are unlcuky enough to miss it.
          Shylaja

          Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
          Bangalore Association for Science Education
          Sri T. Chowdaiah Road, High Grounds
          Bangalore 560 001
          www.taralaya.org
          tel/fax 91-080-2226 6084