The combined ASE experience

  • N. Rathnasree
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      It has been really enjoyable seeing all the different ASE photographs from all amateur astronomer groups and planetarians.

      I had tried to combine all the 2009 TSE experiences on one page here:

      http://www.nehruplanetarium.org/eclipsewiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.July222009TSE-TheExperience

      (Still incomplete)

      I would like to collate all the ASE experiences the same way on one page. I would like to ask everyone if it is OK, if I place one image and a link to their sites on one page combining everyone's ASE experience.

      B.T.W. did everyone notice the omnipresent blackdrop effect like darkening between the two limbs on many of the images close to the 2nd or 3rd contact? (I think, this was being confused with Bailey's beads, sometimes) Why is this ASE blackdrop effect never commented upon while there is so much fuss made about the blackdrop effect w.r.t. Venus Transit (understandable due to the trouble it caused getting accurate contact timings) and more recently w.r.t. the TRACE Mercury transit?

      I have placed the ASE report from our plani, here:

      http://www.nehruplanetarium.org/eclipsewiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.TheASEExperience

      In this, the report on the Sun/Moon angular diameter measurements by VSSC school students using the plani projection box with a dobsonian mounting and a Galileoscope, as well as the report on the garden of pinhole images, is interesting. The projection box with a kind of a dobsonian mounting, is very good for obtaining steady projected images of the Sun, with which some quantitative measurements can be made by students.

      If any group is interested in these boxes and can have them transported from here - we will make all efforts to provide them. Well, now we have two years for the next major solar event of public interest. And, yes, these projection boxes have also been used for quantitative measurement of angular diameters by students, during the 2004 transit of Venus.

      Rathnasree, Nehru Planetarium, New Delhi
    • anupamnaskar@yahoo.co.in
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
        Dear Mam,
        This is superb.