78 leonids 24 sporadic - a report of Leonids from Sariska

  • Vikrant Narang
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2009
      Dear Astronomads,

      We had a fantastic Leonids observation from Tiger Den hotel, Sariska, Rajasthan on the night of 17th-18th november. The observation organised by space consisted of SPACEians, Astronomicans, Astronomds (a new unofficial gang of amitabh) and some old AAAD friends, in total there we were 20 people on the site including 4 foregners from US. In addition to this we were also joined by Arvind and Ravi from Vigyan Prasar and Sandeep Nigam from Star News with his crew who covered the event.

      After a careful delibration over the weather situation and considering several alternate sites such as dumdama, jim corbet and even Hatu peak in himachal (the most tempting option), we zeroed in on Sariska (thanks to our weatherman, CB). Surely the decision was well taken and we were treated to cloud free skies, except that the it was a little hazy, but we still had a limiting magnitude > 5 and we could see the milky way.

      The show began with an extremely bright leonid fireball at around 12:30 AM just few minutes before the radiant rose up above our horizon. I did not see this fireball, but i am being told that it was about -5 or -6 mag in brightness and left a smoke trail which could be seen for well well over 5 minutes.

      While CB, Atish and Rohini attempted photographing the event (I think CB captured few of them) Amitabh, Shotmita and I set out for visual observations for the IMO report. I must thank Bhavneet for the great support during the timekeeping and logging in my over 3 hour long patrol and also for helping me compile the elaborate report along with Rohini for IMO right after from the dawn sacrificing her sleep.

      Here is a report of my observing session early morning of 18th November:

      Limiting Magnitude : varied between 5.01 and 5.20
      Centre of field : Castor and Pollox
      Obstruction of field : None
      Cloud cover : None
      Total Observation Time : 3 Hours 5 Minutes
      Total number of Leonids observed : 78
      Total Sporadics observed : 24
      Brightest Leonids Observed : 2 of -2.5 Mag.
      Average brightness of Leonids observed : Between 0 and 1
      Number of Bolides seen : 1
      Interval Breakup :
      1:45 AM to 2:45 AM IST : 15 Leonids, 9 Sporadic
      2:45 AM to 3:50 AM IST : 42 Leonids, 7 Sporadic.
      4:05 AM to 5:05 AM IST : 21 Leonids, 8 Sporadic

      A more detailed report of the data I submitted to IMO can be accessed at: <http://umdb.urania.be/v2/obsview/view.php?id=5754>. The data suggests that the activity certainly was high between 2:45 and 3:45 AM, particularly a 10 minute interval between 2:45 and 2:55 AM showed a spike in meteor rates as I saw 12 meteors during this 10 minute time, that means a leonid meteor streaked the sky every 50 seconds or so on average.

      It seems that the prediction of "as many as 200-300 meteors per hour" during 21:00 and 22:00 UT (2:30 and 3:30 IST) did not turn out to be exactly so (though seems to be a definite spike during / around this time), the observations submitted at IMO so far are suggesting peak ZHRs of about 133. (have a look at: http://www.imo.net/live/leonids2009/#peak)

      ---
      Fortune Cookie:

      Q: Know what the difference between your latest project and putting wings on an elephant is?
      A: Who knows? The elephant *might* fly, heh, heh...
      ---

      Happy Meteor Observing!!!

      -----------------------------------
      Vikrant Narang

      Scientific Officer, SPACE
      www.space-india.org

      Mobile: (+91)9312286904
      E-mail: vikrant@..., vikrant@...

      CONFIDENTIALITY INFORMATION AND DISCLAIMER
      "This e-mail message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. It should not be accessed by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have erroneously received this message,please delete it immediately and notify the sender. The recipient acknowledges that SCIENCE POPULARISATION ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNICATORS AND EDUCATORS (S.P.A.C.E Group), is unable to exercise control or ensure or guarantee the integrity of/over the contents of the information contained in e-mail transmissions and further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of SPACE. Before opening any attachments please check them for viruses and defects."

    • tushar sharma
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2009
        congratulations vikrant sir for ur good job

        2009/11/19 Vikrant Narang <vikrant_narang@...>

> [...]
        > privileged information. It should not be accessed by anyone who is not the
        > original intended recipient. If you have erroneously received this
        > message,please delete it immediately and notify the sender. The recipient
        > acknowledges that SCIENCE POPULARISATION ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNICATORS AND
        > EDUCATORS (S.P.A.C.E Group), is unable to exercise control or ensure or
        > guarantee the integrity of/over the contents of the information contained in
        > e-mail transmissions and further acknowledges that any views expressed in
        > this message are those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the
        > message shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with
        > due authority of SPACE. Before opening any attachments please check them for
        > viruses and defects."
        >
        > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

      • ABHAY KANT
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2009
          I want to work on some space projects. Please tell me some projects which I
          can do.