TSE Report, Patna

  • Avnish Anand
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hey everyone,

      Our TSE experience was pretty... err... interesting..

      After much deliberation, debate and endless games of eenie-meenie-minie-mo, my buddy Prateek, his cousin Hitesh and I decided to go to Patna to observe the eclipse since from the data we had at hand at the time of booking, the weather prospects seemed the best over there... *cough* plus, the SPACE guys had picked Patna... had to be a good reason, right? :p

      So anywho... once we got there (btw luckily, we happened to be on the same train and in the same hotels as the Heliodyssey folks) we decided to spend our first day (21st) scouting for a location to observe, do outreach and take photos.... So we had a look around the city and found the Mahatma Gandhi Setu to be the best location... Looking around the area, we found a naval base and spoke to the commander/captain/admiral/whatever and finally got permission and he made arrangements that the next day, we'd show up at 4:30 and he'd take us on a ship to a jetty in the middle of a 4-5 km stretch of the Ganga.... so we'd have a panoramic river view of the eclipse, with the Gandhi Setu in the foreground, and safely away from interfering crowds... So finally we got back to our hotel wondering how our lives could get any better :P

      The next morning... CLOUDS!! - It was so cloudy that when we called up the navy guys, they said theres no point and we hould stay at the hotel... Shubham and the rest of the SPACE team also echoed this opinion :(

      We decided to join the SPACE team at the Vigyan Kendra, to meet up with Megha A., Udita, Siddharth and the gang and see what would happen...
      Throughout it was cloudy as hell... and just a few seconds before totality, it started raining... just perfect! in a mad rush to cover our cameras, and for an unfortunate few, telescopes!, we finally "felt" totality, it did feel cooler and windier, but mostly cuz of the rain... and after totality, we were forced to go indoors by the *cough* organisers *cough*

      after a while, it cleared up again and news came in that the sun was partly visible, so we all rushed outside and someone broke my tripod on the way !!!! going outside, we saw about an 80% eclipsed sun, which quickly got clouded out and then cleared up around 55% eclipsed. I was able to convince a local media guy and borrowed his 70-300mm zoom and managed a few quick snaps... yeah, snaps, not photographs :(

      But all in all it was a fin experience and I cant wait for the next TSE :)

      Clear Skies,
      Avnish

      29* 33' 06.14" N
      77* 14" 29.94 E
      New Delhi, India

      Johnny finding life a bore,
      drank some H2SO4,
      Then his father, an MD
      Gave him CaCO3
      Now he's neutralized, its true
      But he's still full ofCO2.

      hAS aNYONE sEEN mY cAPS lOCK kEY?

      Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
      The best way to accelerate a computer running windows is at 9.2 m/s/s (or 32 ft/s/s)
      The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90* and try again
      Windows Vista: The woe stars now
      Linux: because rebooting is for adding new hardware.
      "Great thinkers have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
      "To err is human... to really mess up requires the root password."
      Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.
      Linux: The choice of a GNU generation
      "We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds." -- Linus
      Vini, vidi, Linux!
      Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you open WINDOWS
      In a world without fences who needs Gates?
      Do you remember when you only had to pay for windows when *you* brokethem?
      I Prefer an OS made by programmers that need marketing than an OS madeby marketing that need programmers
      "Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp server and let the rest of the world make copies." - Linus Torvalds

      Windows: The first user interface where you click Start to turn it off.

      The relative speed of a computer, regardless of CPU architecture,is inversely proportional to the number of Microsoft products installed.
      A rolling stone gathers momentum.
      All coordinate systems are equal, but some are more equal than others.
      No trees were harmed during the making ofthis message. Several electons however, were terribly inconvenienced.

      A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.If this blue you're going too fast.

      _
      ,--(_) | |
      _/ ;-._\ | | |,-. | |,--. -+- | |
      (_)( ) ) | | | | | || | | | |