The Indian Eclipse Flight S2-2279

  • Ajay Talwar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
      Hello Eclipse Chasers,

      It was the most beautiful Diamond Ring that I have ever seen, clear, sharp and against a black sky background!
      As I write this, the moment is flashing in my mind, and I am having difficulty in finding the right word to describe it. The little bead of the sun that came out and formed the diamond ring shone brightly, it seemed as if someone was shining a laser right into my eye. I was mesmerised as well as afraid of staring at it. The moment is etched in my mind forever.

      The Eclipse Flight conducted by SPACE was a grand success.

      Excitement levels rose exponentially as the JetLite aircraft took off from the runway at Delhi, Captain Oswal immediately requested and was permitted to fly at the cruising altitude of 41000 ft. Eclipse chasers sitting on the earth side seat were the first ones to see the partial eclipse begin. As we flew towards south-east, the partially eclipse sun appeared on the forward side of the right hand side windows.

      The Eclipse Flight seemed to travel much quicker than a normal flight, soon enough we were in a holding pattern, circling over Bodh Gaya. We, at SPACE, had planned for 30 alternate runs and were ready for any contingency. During the hold period over Bodh Gaya I had a discussion with Captain Oswal and the totality run was selected from the many that we had prepared for longitude 85°, over Taregna. Captain fed in the coordinates for the first point of the 'Totality Run' in the Flight Management System and the correct time. From the starting point of the totality run, the aircraft would be moving in a straight line heading towards azimuth 345° or north-north-west. As we approached the starting point of the totality run captain saw a big black cumulus sitting right at the starting point! Captain diverted about 10 miles eastwards to avoid the cloud.

      In the aircraft cabin we saw this dark cloud and were suddenly alarmed and concerned, but it quickly passed. As the aircraft made its final turn to enter the totatiy run, the fine crescent came into view on the starboard side windows. Ninety seconds later we were treated to the broad diamond ring at second contact. With the sun extinguished, the shimmering corona at a multi million degrees, riding thousands of miles on the Sun's magnetic lines. The corona against the black sky background shone brighter at this height. To the naked eye the corona looked like a broad '+' plus sign. Looking at the sketch made by Neelam I was confused, how could the corona be extending in four direction, one more look outside the window, the corona looked just like she had drawn.

      How quickly the totality passed, 4 minutes just flashed by in what seemed just a few seconds, leaving us wanting more and more. And then the tiny bead of sunlight appeared towards the top of the eclipse sun. Oh! what a sight, it was the sharpest little bead pouring pure white light towards us. Along with the bright corona it formed Diamond Ring that surpassed all other seen from the ground. A cry rose from everyone's lips inside the aircraft, and every one was silently gazing at this pure beautiful scene brought about by nature. Eight year old Arjune sat gazing at the spectacle, he had to be reminded to move his gaze away.

      The diamond ring broadened into a crescent slowly. The aircraft remained in the direction for about 5 more minutes to see the crescent sun and then turned left to head back towards Delhi. Everyone sat in a trance on the return path, no one even remotely interested in the breakfast being served by the cabin crew. Every one, except the media persons that is, they were busy interviewing all the eclipse chasers one after another.

      Unbelievable, Fabulous, Glorious and many more words like these, fall way short of what we saw.

      The Commander of the Eclipse Flight congratulated all eclipse chasers on board and also congratulated SPACE for taking such a step to organise this flight. Further Capt. Oswal congratulated SPACE for meticulously planning the exact path to be taken by the aircraft, and so many alternative plans. With this extreme planning nothing seemed to go wrong. The aircraft was right in the middle of the shadow at the right time.

      The Eclipse Flight will remain the first ever passenger eclipse flight in India, conceptualised, initiated and conducted by Eclipse Chasers Athenaeum - the eclipse sphere of SPACE. The Athenaeum is indebted to Mr Glenn Schneider to provide the Eflight software which helped in planning the flight paths. http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/

      Which brings us to the question which is popping up every now and then
      When is the next time we can do this again?
      Well there is the annular solar eclipse coming up in India on 15 January 2010, and then the total solar eclipse on 11 July 2010 happening over Tahiti, Easter Islands and Chile!

      Ajay Talwar

    • Anees Siddiqui
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
        Dear Ajay Talwar,
        Congratulations on the great success of your Mission. Your sword has become more sharp and big. I have no words to express.
        With best wishes, blessings and love,
        A.H. Siddiqui

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
          Hey

          Great efforts done by every one
          my heartiest congratulations to all the members for successful watch in the flight and in China !!!

          Great going. keep it up!!

          Raghu

          ________________________________
[...]

          See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz. http://in.buzz.yahoo.com/

        • Bhavna Pundir
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 23, 2009
            Lovely report, as if  I was personally present there.Well, we at Bhopal were not at all lucky.It was raining incessantly when we reached on the 21st..We hoped and prayed but it never stopped.However,we did experience the the total darkness.For my kids and me that itself was very dramatic and wondrous. Luckily, for those brief moments the rain stopped and we were out in the open on a small hill top.We could hear the cacophony of birds all around us.At that point,I did not feel disappointed at all in fact, was glad that we had at least experienced standing under the Moon's shadow. I'm happy that I was able to give my kids this exposure.Their  interest in Astronomy has increased,that really matters to me.The best part was while having breakfast,the sun came out,the rain stopped and it has not rained ever since.HA! HA! LIFE"S LIKE THAT.
            Bhavna

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2009
              Its really great to have a explanation of TSE from you.Here in Nepal we are
              unable to visit the totality zone and we had a program at Kathmandu.
              you can find more updates on Eclipse programme and observation in Nepal
              from:
              http://suresh-bhattarai.blogspot.com/
              http://astronomy-nepal.blogspot.com

              On 7/23/09, Ajay Talwar <ajaytalwar80@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > flight. Further Capt. Oswal congratulated SPACE for meticulously planning
              > the exact path to be taken by the aircraft, and so many alternative plans.
              > With this extreme planning nothing seemed to go wrong. The aircraft was
              > right in the middle of the shadow at the right time.
              >
              > The Eclipse Flight will remain the first ever passenger eclipse flight in
              > India, conceptualised, initiated and conducted by Eclipse Chasers Athenaeum
              > - the eclipse sphere of SPACE. The Athenaeum is indebted to Mr Glenn
              > Schneider to provide the Eflight software which helped in planning the
              > flight paths. http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/
              >
              > Which brings us to the question which is popping up every now and then
              > When is the next time we can do this again?
              > Well there is the annular solar eclipse coming up in India on 15 January
              > 2010, and then the total solar eclipse on 11 July 2010 happening over

              With Best Regards,
              Suresh Bhattarai

              Founder Member
              Nepal Astronomical Society(NASO)