Re: [Astronomy_Activities_2009] Eclipse-Amazing darkness!!!

  • Anees Siddiqui
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 21, 2009
      Dear All,
      Congratulations to all the Team viewers of Total Solar Eclipse 2009 from different places and from the Aeroplane.
      This year, I did not go anywhere except I along with my Solar Viewing Kit (Card Board Box of 4' x 1/1/2' x 1') fitted with Toy Telescope of Space Organisation (given by Chander Bhushan Ji) and few filter goggles went in my area i.e. Devi Lal Park Sector-22 Gurgaon where hundreds of morning walkers viewed with the help of goggles as at 5.35 the rising sun was covered with clouds and at 6.20 it came out of clouds with very little light which could not form projection Image in the Solar Viewing Kit till the end of the Partial Solar Eclipse finished at 7.30. All the morning walkers were very happy to view the Partial Solar Eclipse with the help of Filter Goggles in between 6.20 to 7.30.
      With best wishes,
      A.H. Siddiqui,
      679, Sector-22B,
      Gurgaon (Haryana)

      From: Pradeep Nair <prad2609@yahoo. com>
      To: "vikramdhunta@ gmail.com" <vikramdhunta@ gmail.com>
      Cc: "Astronomy_Activitie s_2009@yahoogrou ps.com" <Astronomy_Activitie s_2009@yahoogrou ps.com>, "amateurs_ciaa@ yahoogroups. com" <amateurs_ciaa@ yahoogroups. com>, "kutchastronomyclub@ yahoogroups. com" <kutchastronomyclub@ yahoogroups. com>, "SunEclipse@yahoogro ups.com" <SunEclipse@yahoogro ups.com>, "SuratAstronomyClub@ yahoogroups. com" <SuratAstronomyClub@ yahoogroups. com>, "ToatalSunEclipse@ yahoogroups. com" <ToatalSunEclipse@ yahoogroups. com>, "astronomyclubindia@ yahoogroups. com" <astronomyclubindia@ yahoogroups. com>, "astrogroupindia@ yahoogroups. com" <astrogroupindia@ yahoogroups. com>, "aaav_group@yahoogro ups.com" <aaav_group@yahoogro ups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, 22 July, 2009, 2:25 AM

      Hi,

      the sun disk is still not visible in Mumbai at 8 am. Clouds marred the event.

      Hope others had a better eclipse.

      Pradeep

      Vikram Dhunta wrote:

      > Hi

      > I joined Amar and folks from BAS, at varanasi where we had fantastic

      > visibility.. we got.a great ~2 mins of totality with the ganga banks

      > as foreground.

      > Fabolous experience!!

      > Vikram

      > On 7/22/09, charitarth vyas < charitarth_vyas@ yahoo.co. in > wrote:

      >> Hello from Surat

      >> We had rain but could see wonderful darkness suddenly from day to night It

      >> eas AAAAAAAMmmmmmmmmmaa aaaaaaaaaaazinnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! !!!!!!!!

      >> Hope to here from all of you soonnnn

      >> Hureeyyyyyyyyyy! !!!!!

      >> Charitarth Vyas

      >> Surat

      >> Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local

      >> http://in.local. yahoo.com/

      Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8. http://downloads. yahoo.com/ in/internetexplo rer/

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket. yahoo.com

    • Akarsh Simha
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 22, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:37:32AM +0530, Vikram Dhunta wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I joined Amar and folks from BAS, at varanasi where we had fantastic
        > visibility.. we got.a great ~2 mins of totality with the ganga banks
        > as foreground.
        >
        > Fabolous experience!!
        >
        > Vikram

        Really lucky :)

        We called up Amar after totality, and he was going on non-stop about
        the eclipse! Could measure the excitement by that! Unfortunate that
        the rest of India missed out on this :(

        Regards
        Akarsh
      • sneh kesari
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 23, 2009
          Hi all,
          Well i had a plan to follow the eclipse in the totality belt bt due to some work in the college, i couldnt join my team in Sasaram....so i decided to observe the eclipse from my college in jaipur only.
          The weather conditions were poor. It rained a day before i.e., on 21/07/09 it rained throughout the day. Even then the sky was covered with clouds and there was not a single hole in the cloud cover.
          Still hoping to see something in the morning, i reached the terrace by 05:15 am, i realized the cloud cover was still the same in the east near the horizon. Around 06:15 am the clouds started scattering and i was able to see the sun approaching maximum cover of 87% which was few minutes away from now.
          The view was amazing and i can never forget this view in my life. Although i m very glad that my fellow amatures in Varanasi had a spactacular view and hope to see their efforts soon, but at the same time i m very disappointed that eclipse chasers at others places couldnt see the eclipse.
          I only had a few chances to see the fuzzy disk covering the sun.
          I had a mixed experience this time....
          Looking forward for the Annular eclipse on 15th Jan 2010.
          Regards
          Sneh

          ________________________________

          Vikram Dhunta wrote:

          > Hi

          > I joined Amar and folks from BAS, at varanasi where we had fantastic

          > visibility.. we got.a great ~2 mins of totality with the ganga banks

          > as foreground.

          > Fabolous experience!!

          > Vikram

          > On 7/22/09, charitarth vyas < charitarth_vyas@ yahoo.co. in > wrote:

          >> Hello from Surat

          >> We had rain but could see wonderful darkness suddenly from day to night It

          >> eas AAAAAAAMmmmmmmmmmaa aaaaaaaaaaazinnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! !!!!!!!!

          >> Hope to here from all of you soonnnn

          >> Hureeyyyyyyyyyy! !!!!!

          >> Charitarth Vyas

          >> Surat

          >> Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local

          >> http://in.local. yahoo.com/

          Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8. http://downloads. yahoo.com/ in/internetexplo rer/

          Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket. yahoo.com

          Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local http://in.local.yahoo.com/

        • taralaya BASE
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009
            Same from Sanchi
            I managed to catch a peacock during totality
            Shylaja

            Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
            Bangalore Association for Science Education
            Sri T. Chowdaiah Road, High Grounds
            Bangalore 560 001
            www.taralaya.org
            tel/fax 91-080-2226 6084
            91-080-2220 3234

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 24, 2009

              *THOUGH IT WAS CLOUDY IN DELHI BUT WE COULD SEE THE ECLIPSE DURING ITS
              MAXIMUM TIME AND RECORDED IT ALSO.EXPERIMENTS LIKE MEASUREMENT OF SOIL
              TEMPERATURE AND LIGHT INTENSITY WERE ALSO PERFORMED.WE WILL BE SOON SENDING
              THE OBSERVATIONS AND RECORDED C.D .TO S.P.A.C.E.*

              * *

              *ISHANT ARORA- ASTRONOMY MEMBER( MODULE 3)*

              *TAGORE** **INTERNATIONAL** **SCHOOL**, EAST OF KAILASH, **NEW DELHI***

            • Naveen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 26, 2009
                Hello to all from ABAA

                A group of 12 members from ABAA (Association of Bangalore Amateur
                Astronomers) witnessed the phenomenal event of Total Solar Eclipse from
                the banks of the sacred Falgu River in Gaya. The location is in between
                GAYA and BODH GAYA. Although there were wisps of cloud we were able to
                manage to take some breath taking pictures and video of the event. Soon
                we would be sharing our TSE 2009 experiences in coming days with photos
                and video at JNP. Interested persons are welcome to join us to share
                there experiences.

                Naveen Balakrishna.