150° wide panoramic Star Trails

  • Ajay Talwar
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2009
      Hello Fellow Astronuts,

      14th February observation brought home a nice picture that I wanted to click from a long time. I had traveled to Ranikhet in November to click such a photo, but was unsuccessful because of silly murphy troubles. This time though I went to Astronomica's official observation site- Nuh, about 50 kms from my place. Astronomicans- Deepak Dogra & Himanshu and Neelam, Arjune & Nakul were along with me this time. A brand new Astronomican Raghav also joined at the site some time later with his Celestron 9.25 incher SCT.

      We aligned three cameras (Canon 450D X2, Canon 1000D) at about the same height on three seperate tripods, carefully framed the cameras to be horizontal to the horizon, and with an overlapping field of about 20%. Our next step was to foucs very carefully. With live view available on all three camera this was slightly easy. Next we setup two laptops running Images Plus software in one and Canon software in another, configured to take about 60 exposures of 2 mimute each.

      It took us about 30-40 minute to setup all equipment, and then the clouds rolled in. We were more persistant than the clouds, and eventually we did have clear skies. We could click 2 minute exposures in all cameras simultaneously from 2200 Hrs to about 0020 hrs, capturing star trails of 2 hrs & 20 minutes.

      This was a carefully planned photograph and observation. The day and the hours of photography were carefully timed keeping in mind the setting time of the bright winter constellations and the rising time of the Moon. The moon rose a little before midnight in the east, and as we were clicking in the western direction, with bright Canis Major, Orion, Perseus, Taurus, Milky Way setting over the hills, the moon was illuminating the mountains and the temple from behind. Without the Moon the mountains and the temple would have been all black and invisible in the photo.

      Later at home all the 2 minute exposures were blended/combined in to form 3 seperate photos (used Images Plus software). These three photos were stitched (using PTGui stitching software). The effort is still not complete, and I can think of many ways to improve the picture, maybe I will in a few days time.

      Would like to share the result with you

      http://picasaweb.google.com/ajaytalwar80/StarTrails#5302924839340122642
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/bvck4u

      Hope you like the effort.

      Ajay Talwar

    • Alt Blank
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2009
        hey... this is a very nice pic; definitely worth the effort you've put in!

        cheers,
        sridhar.