Lulin Naked-eye obs - 7th Feb 09

  • Amar Sharma
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hello All,

      I was for a memorable week at a remote resort in Coorg, Karnataka Western Ghats (a famous tourist spot) for an outreach event of 8th std students from Pallikoodam school in Kottayam, Kerala. Since I was totally unconnected from the internet world (well, even civilization) for 6 days, I did not know how far the Comet Lulin had moved since I last knew its position. Big deal, today dawn, I simply scanned the 10x50 binocs in Libra and there was this big, bright fuzz near the pretty double Alpha Libra! The gibbous Moon had set and the skies were pretty dark, not exceptional, maybe averaging 6.3 mag.

      Now, I tried to find Lulin naked-eyes. Plain averted vision did not work, it was to be extreme averted vision, and there was this very 'faint star' just to the left of star 5 Libra (6.33 mag). The more I stared, the better. This comet was a fraction fainter than the star, making me to place it at 6.4 mag; thats my naked-eye estimation of the comet. I estimated the NELM of the place using a close pair of stars in Centaurus (I cant precisely trace in software).

      Just before this trip, some of us got a chance to image Lulin with the 40-inch scope at Kavalur Observatory on 30th Jan. I will be uploading the report with pics in a day or two. Thanking You. Amar.

      PS - I totally forgot about the other binocular comet Kushida's existance in all this time. :(

      **************

      Amar A. Sharma
      Bangalore Astronomical Society
      BAS (www.bas.org.in)

      Signature : Oh... we astronomers have seen, and are still seeing far deep into space, closer to God with just with 2 material eyes...I wonder what we all would start seeing with our third cosmic eye, still closed and ignorant!

    • nandivada_rathnasree
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hello Amar,

        I must have called you when you were interactimng with these children.

        And, no wonder that Dr. Suresh Mohan calls you a skymap :-)

        You saw this before the tail disconnection event?

        Rathna

        --- In Astronomy_Activities_2009@yahoogroups.com, Amar Sharma
        <amar_universe@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I was for a memorable week at a remote resort in Coorg, Karnataka
        Western Ghats (a famous tourist spot) for an outreach event of 8th std
        students from Pallikoodam school in Kottayam, Kerala. Since I was
        totally unconnected from the internet world (well, even civilization)
        for 6 days, I did not know how far the Comet Lulin had moved since I
        last knew its position. Big deal, today dawn, I simply scanned the
        10x50 binocs in Libra and there was this big, bright fuzz near the
        pretty double Alpha Libra! The gibbous Moon had set and the skies were
        pretty dark, not exceptional, maybe averaging 6.3 mag.

        > Now, I tried to find Lulin naked-eyes. Plain averted vision did not
        work, it was to be extreme averted vision, and there was this very
        'faint star' just to the left of star 5 Libra (6.33 mag). The more I
        stared, the better. This comet was a fraction fainter than the star,
        making me to place it at 6.4 mag; thats my naked-eye estimation of the
        comet. I estimated the NELM of the place using a close pair of stars
        in Centaurus (I cant precisely trace in software).

        > Just before this trip, some of us got a chance to image Lulin with
        the 40-inch scope at Kavalur Observatory on 30th Jan. I will be
        uploading the report with pics in a day or two. Thanking You. Amar.

        > PS - I totally forgot about the other binocular comet Kushida's
        existance in all this time. :(

        > **************
        >
        > Amar A. Sharma
        > Bangalore Astronomical Society
        > BAS (www.bas.org.in)
        >
        > Signature : Oh... we astronomers have seen, and are still seeing far
        deep into space, closer to God with just with 2 material eyes...I
        wonder what we all would start seeing with our third cosmic eye, still
        closed and ignorant!

      • Amar
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2009
          --- In
          Astronomy_Activities_2009@yahoogroups.com, "nandivada_rathnasree"
          <rathnasree@...> wrote:

          > Hello Amar,
          >
          > I must have called you when you were interactimng with these
          children.

          > And, no wonder that Dr. Suresh Mohan calls you a skymap :-)
          >
          > You saw this before the tail disconnection event?
          >
          > Rathna

          Dear Madam, You called me on the Monday I think. Yes, they were doing
          something there. I have not seen a single image or update of whats
          going on in the astronomy (or comet) world. Did any disconnection
          event happen with it's tail? I could only observe the coma and felt
          some irregularities in it, with the 10x50.

          We might get to observe it with a scope this month end when Moon
          recedes (this is probably the clearest spell of weather in B'lore).

          Just for everyone's info, there would be a close rendezvous (2
          degrees) of Saturn and Lulin on the dawn of 24th Feb for our
          location. Should be a good photo opportunity for the imagers here.
          Thanking You. Amar.