Luster of Lulin-Imaged on 1st Feb

  • anuragshevade
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hi all!
      At dawn of 1st February,i got chance to image Comet Lulin for the 1st
      time.Me & my friend Amol Bhainderkar went to Vangani with a Barn door
      mount & dslrs.

      The Comet showed hint of color in 10inch telescope & tail was easy
      catch @ low power.Interestingly,the captured image shows antitail also
      in hyper processed version of img.The total integration time was less
      than 500 sec so not much of details could be extracted with 200mm
      lens.The processing of trailed subs took quite some time.The link for
      image can be found below.

      The comet has recently lost a chunk out of main body.I think if all
      our group members imaging Lulin can integrate entire raw datasets,we
      will have quite good possibilities of having time lapse/3D images.Also
      much deeper images are possible when subs happen to be taken @ same
      time.If Anyone wishing to contribute comet images taken thro anything
      from 50-500mm focal lengths,let us uplod the originals somewhere &
      combine them to reveal more Luster of Lulin.

      Here are the links for Lulin's luster on Sunday 1st Feb 2009

      http://tinyurl.com/blylak

      or

      http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jc-62IrO1uVmDwk7HU5RKw?feat=directlink

      http://picasaweb.google.com/airbornecoscom/LovelyLulin?feat=directlink

      Clear Skies
      -Anurag
    • Shankar Suryanarayan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
        hi anurag where in vangani do u do ur imaging im in neral and dont have much
        of dark skiesShankar

        On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM, anuragshevade <anuragshevade@...>wrote:

        > Hi all!
        > At dawn of 1st February,i got chance to image Comet Lulin for the 1st
        > time.Me & my friend Amol Bhainderkar went to Vangani with a Barn door
        > mount & dslrs.
        >
        > The Comet showed hint of color in 10inch telescope & tail was easy
        > catch @ low power.Interestingly,the captured image shows antitail also
        > in hyper processed version of img.The total integration time was less
        > than 500 sec so not much of details could be extracted with 200mm
        > lens.The processing of trailed subs took quite some time.The link for
        > image can be found below.
        >
        > The comet has recently lost a chunk out of main body.I think if all
        > our group members imaging Lulin can integrate entire raw datasets,we
        > will have quite good possibilities of having time lapse/3D images.Also
        > much deeper images are possible when subs happen to be taken @ same
        > time.If Anyone wishing to contribute comet images taken thro anything
        > from 50-500mm focal lengths,let us uplod the originals somewhere &
        > combine them to reveal more Luster of Lulin.
        >
        > Here are the links for Lulin's luster on Sunday 1st Feb 2009
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/blylak
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jc-62IrO1uVmDwk7HU5RKw?feat=directlink
        >
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/airbornecoscom/LovelyLulin?feat=directlink
        >
        > Clear Skies
        > -Anurag

      • anurag shevade
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
          Hi Shankar!

          I do observing & imaging from Khagol mandal site in vangani.Its just 5min.away from Rly Stn by walk.Here is the wikimapia link.

          http://www.wikimapia.org/11167905/Khagol-Mandal-Star-Gazing-site-at-Vangani

          True, just like Neral,its not as dark as ideally reqd for a good imaging session.But its v.much accesible for anyone from Mumbai.No transportation from Rly stn reqd.So if no personal/private vehicle available,we can reach by train @ anytime,even @ midnight.I think u can get dream skies just a few km away from home.

          A few yrs ago,i'd an observing run near neral.It was @ Jummapatti on the way to Matheran.The southern skies were too good.The small constellation 'Musca' below famous Southern cross -Crux was easily visible.Also we'd a nice Messier Marathon from a small village called 'Mircholi' near Neral.On that day we tested 4inch scope for faintest visible star using v high power [250x].This limiting stellar magnitude was 12.5! The theoretical is something around 13.
          Anurag