Observers wanted.

  • attilladanko
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2002
      Allan Rahill of the Canadaian Meterological Center has created
      a numerical forecast model for astronomical seeing
      (http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/seeing_e.html). This the
      same seeing forecast used by the Clear Sky Clocks
      (http://cleardarksky.com/csk)

      Allan based his model on of 541 of his own observations with his C14.
      So the model is reasonably valid, at least for his home town.
      But Allan would like data to validate his model for points
      all over North America.

      I figure many observers already make note of seeing
      conditions in their observing logs. I thought perhaps some
      might want to contribute their observations of seeing to a
      database that I (foolishly) wrote for the purpose.

      The database is on http://cleardarksky.com/so
      The observation entry form is lined at the bottom of that page.
      The database allows entry of ALPO seeing-scale numbers
      and of FWHM star diameters. (I also included two other scales
      because I did not wish to pre-scribe which seeing-evaluation
      scales observers are actually using.)

      The database will be able to process observations as far back as
      July 27th. All observations and analysis will be public.
      I have the most basic analysis working now, which is to
      anotate archived copies of Allan's forecast maps with
      observations.

      Since I am excited Allan tuning his seeing forecast
      to perhaps be as accurate as his amazingly accurate transparency
      forecast, I would humbly ask ALPO_Jupiter observes to contribute
      to the database.

      -ad