News Articles

  • kamleshadhiya
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
      TIGER BODY TO RELY ON LOCALS, HUNTING COMMUNITIES

      Express News Service
      New Delhi, November 29

      At its firs meeting held here, the National Tiger Coservation
      Authority (NTCA) decided to ask all tiger states to launch a special
      drive to recruit local forest dwelling people to fill up ground staff
      vacancies in all tiger reserves. The authority will also seek help
      from the Ministry of Home Affairs (Internal Security) to fight
      insurgency and the Naxalites in affected tiger reserves.

      For the next financial year when the NTCA gets its first independent
      budgetary support, it has sought an estimated Rs. 104 crore from the
      national exchequer for effective conservation initiatives, a three-
      and-half time increase compared to Project Tiger's Rs. 30-crore
      budget this year.

      'We can't save the tiger by isolating the local population. We have
      to engage them by, ifnecessary, relaxing the prescribed
      qualifications for such posts. The process requires to be completed
      within a time-frame of six months. I am happy that we has fruitful
      discussions on the formation of state-level steering committees,
      preparation of tiger conservation plans and establishment of the
      Tiger Conservation Foundation,' Rajesh Gopal, NTCA member-secretrary,
      told The Indian Express.

      The NTCA was constituted on Septmenter 4 under the Wildlife
      (Protection) Amendment Act, 2006, as recommended by the Tiger Task
      Force. Uner the chairmanship of the Minister of Environment and
      Forests, the 24-member body consists 19 members from various
      ministries and eight non-official experts. The formation of the
      Wildlife Crime Bureau - another provision in the amendment Act - is
      pending with the Finance Ministry and is not expected befoere January
      nex Year.

      KEY DECISIONS

      * Creating a pnel with NTCA experts, Ministery of Home Affairs
      (Internal Security), Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Ministry os Social
      Justice, Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Chief Wildlife Wardens of
      States to suggest measures for containing insurgency and Naxalite
      problems at places like Indravati (Andhra Pradesh), Palamu
      (Jharkhand) of Valmiki (Bihar) tiger reseves.

      * Creation of monitoring laboratory at Dehradun's Wildlife Institute
      of India.

      * Completion of Phase-I analysis of the All-India tiger Estimation
      using the new methodology by next month and all phases by July next
      year.

      * Using the new protocol develped in the All-India Tiger Estimation
      for regular, institutionalised monitoring of tiger reserves.

      * Setting up a committee under the chairmanship of Prof Madhav Gadgil
      of Bangalore's Indian Institute of Science for suggesting networking
      withe researchers towards fostering field research adn refining the
      parameters for independent monitoring.

      -ENS

      Source: Page 4 The Indian Express, Ahmedabad Dated November 30 2006.
    • amit jethwa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
        During this week lioness carcass found in Jamwala range of Gir PAs. Post mortam conducted by 3 V.O. panel and cause of death diclared was snake bite. Lioness was young and age around 6 years.

        We demand detailed inquiry of this case.

        amit

        Amit B. Jethava
        President
        Gir Nature Youth Club