New lion a roaring success

  • Kishore Kotecha
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2012
      24-07-2012
      New lion a roaring success
      Scotsman
      http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/new-lion-a-roaring-success-1-2428562

      EDINBURGH Zoo’s single female Asiatic lion has welcomed hopeful suitor Jayendra to his new home

      One-and-a-half-year-old Jayendra, known as Jay to his keepers, has arrived from Bristol Zoo to join lioness Kamlesh.

      Alison Maclean, head carnivore keeper at Edinburgh Zoo, said: “It’s great news that we have Jay at the zoo and he has already been introduced successfully to Kamlesh, our feisty female Asiatic lion. When you’re introducing any animal to another animal for the first time there is always uncertainty.

      “Kamlesh is around 13 years older than Jay and is slightly larger, so it was going to be interesting to see how they would react to each other.

      “I’m glad to say that they seem to have hit it off, and they could even be spotted curled up sleeping together on the first night after the introductions.”