Electrocution of an Asiatic Lion

  • Jaidev
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
      Friends.
      As per the news in Sunday Times of India,
      Ahmedabad, January 7th 2006, an adult lion died after it came in
      contact with a live wire put through the fencing around a farm
      situated in Simran villege of Jafrabad taluka, district Junagadh.
      Conservator of forest at Sasan stated that usually after the rains
      such methods were used to prevent damaging of crops by animals and
      electicity department has been informed and asked to take up a
      special drive to check electrification of fences.
      With due respect, I will like to say that it seems that
      forest officials are taking the matter lightly, trying to shift the
      responsibility on electricity department and trying to justify the
      lion death as not their responsibility. Saving wild animals from any
      kind of danger is only and only forest department’s responsibility.
      It appears from the statement of conservator of forest that forest
      department is very much aware that after rains, to protect their
      crops, farmers attach live wires to their fencing. Cannot the forest
      department take up a special drive itself on periphery areas of the
      forest where lions usually wonders out for livestock preying? Cannot
      forest officers in-charge of the areas, along with the farmers
      concerned, are answerable for such kind of unnatural death of lions
      as they are listed in schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act 1972?
      Regards,
      Jaidev.
    • Atul Singh Nischal

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
          --- In Asiatic_Lions@yahoogroups.com, Atul Singh Nischal
          <atulsinghnischal@...> wrote:

> [...]
          bulls from entering their fields to eat crops. Solar powered electric
          fencing and pschological deterrence as mentioned by Geeta
          Seshamani,in my belief willnot and cannot stop them (Blue-bulls).