Asiatic Lions Face Extinction, Please help us SAVE this special Species!

  • Lisa C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2006
      Subject: Continuous "Propoganda" from the "State Government of
      Gujarat (India)"
      against any shifting of Lions, even some wild "Asiatic Lions" outside
      the state
      to Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary in the "state of Madhya Pradesh
      (India)" has
      become "serious threat" to the longterm survival of the Asiatic Lion.

      Lioness dead, leopard, jackal electrocuted in Gir
      Express News Service

      Junagadh, September 1, 2006:

      http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=199439

      National
      Tourism in Gujarat on an upswing: Minister
      Ahmedabad, Sept 2, 2006 (PTI):

      http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200609020311.htm

      Received in response to Google NEWS ALERT Created by me: Gir News

      Subject: Google Alert - Gir News
      Google Alert for: Gir News
      Tourism in Gujarat on an upswing: Minister
      Hindu - Chennai,India
      ... Some of these properties are Sasan Gir Forest Lodge in Junagadh,
      Ahmedpur-Mandvi Beach resort, Palace Beach Resort of Chorward and
      Hotel Sumeru
      of Palitana. ...
      Gir
      Ahmedabad Newsline - Ahmedabad,India
      ... evening at Sakkarbagh Zoo Hospital in Junagadh after prolonged
      illness, a
      leopard and jackal died of electrocution in the area bordering Gir
      forests last
      week. ...

      This as-it-happens Google Alert is brought to you by Google.

      Highly endangered "Asiatic Lions" their homes "Gir" and "Kuno" Wildlife
      Sanctuaries; spreading the awareness.

      Mr. Kishore Kotecha
      Gir & Asiatic Lion Protection Society (GALPS)
      info@...,
      info@...

      Subject: Some suggestions for your website on highly endangered
      "Asiatic Lions"
      and "Gir", and thankyou for spreading the awareness.

      Hello Mr Kishore Kotecha / http://www.asiaticlion.org/index.htm

      *1.
      This is to inform you that along with several news articles that I
      keep sending
      to Mr Nigel Hodgetts <info@...> owner of the famous
      international
      website "The Asiatic Lion information Centre, The home of the
      European Asiatic
      Lion Breeding Programme" I also sent him the weblink to your website
      "Gir & Asiatic Lion Protection Society (GALPS)"
      http://www.asiaticlion.org/index.htm

      On my last visit to the website of "The Asiatic Lion information
      Centre, The
      home of the European Asiatic Lion Breeding Programme", I noticed Mr Nigel
      Hodgetts has added the link to your website in the links section of
      his above
      mentioned website http://www.asiatic-lion.org/links.html. This is very
      good as
      people looking for Asiatic Lion Info will be directed to your website
      through
      his website too now. I am sure you will keep updating your website
      with as much
      info as possible on a regular basis for years and years to come and spread
      awareness about the plight of Asiatic Lion and its home GIR as well as its
      second home in Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh.

      **2.
      Please do not forget Kuno and please cover it properly on your
      website when you
      get time and post special pages on Kuno. Kuno is one of the biggest
      steps that
      we as Indians can take to protect our Asiatic Lions, I found some more
      material
      on the web, here I am pasting some links for you below (at the bottom
      of this
      letter) to realise that Kuno is important and please dont ignore it.
      Please do
      your own research on the internet etc and get info on Kuno and also keep
      updating it over the years.

      ***3.
      Please add a special section in your website for - Asiatic Lion
      Deaths in the
      Wild and their recorded Causes” so that these can not hide unnoticed
      in the
      books of the forest department. These should be brought out for the
      world to
      see, Asiatic Lions are a highly endangered species still very close to
      complete
      extinction. Please get all the info from all the concerned government
      documents
      of all the government departments and take permission if you have to
      to copy and
      make this information available to all the world by placing it on your
      website,
      please update this info regularly every six months or so. Lions keep
      dying being
      killed by 1. poachers, 2. poisoned by villagers, 3. electrocuted by
      illegal
      electric fences of villagers, 4. by falling into thousands of open
      wells, 5.
      killed by running Trains passing through Gir forest, 6. Killed by road
      traffic
      on roads passing through forest, 7. Lions killed by floods, 8. Lions
      killed by
      Fire, Lions killed by disease, 9.
      Lions killed by Villagers when entering villages and creating a conflict
      situation and 10. Lions killed by domestic animals like dogs if any,
      11. Lions
      killed by other wild animals in fighting, 12. Lions killed naturally
      and Lions
      found dead etc. etc. This information about the frequently dying
      Asiatic Lions
      is very important and should be brought out for the world to see. All
      Asiatic
      Lion deaths should be properly recorded and correct reason be given
      for the
      deaths. Any instance where the forest department or anybody else tries
      to hide
      the death of an Asiatic Lion or tries to misrepresent it as natural
      death should
      not be allowed and brought out. If you find something fishy you should
      report to
      various press and media agencies and newspapers etc.
      Please also see:
      Lions are no longer king of the jungle in Gir
      http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1017825&CatID=2

      Gir Lions on the verge of extinction
      Bahar Dutt, CNN-IBN, Posted Tuesday , January 17, 2006 at 19:03
      Watch the Video:

      http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/3872/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction.html
      News Source:

      http://www.ibnlive.com/news/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction/3872-3-0.html

      ****4.
      Please if possible make a "Yahoo group on Asiatic Lions" and communicate
      regularly on it and post your trip info (Gir Visits) and photos from
      time to
      time on the group website, all Asiatic Lion lovers should be allowed
      to join the
      group in the long run and researchers should be allowed to check
      through your
      posted mails for info on the lions. ASIATIC CHEETAHS is another bigcat
      that
      Gujarat and India lost recently, last remaining 50 or 60 Asiatic
      Cheetahs in the
      whole world are now are only found in Iran. In my previous mails
      before (and
      attached below) there was info on the Asiatic Cheetahs and I mentioned
      the Iran
      Government Website on Cheetah Project and the website of Iran Cheetah
      Society(ICS) which is an NGO.

      ICS has a "ICS Yahoo group for Asiatic Cheetahs" you can copy this
      idea from
      them. I will now give you their yahoo group address :

      Some more:

      Please Note I have posted your website link on all the three Yahoo Group
      websites above by becomming a member in them. Since I was afraid to
      receive too
      much mail from these groups in my mailbox I opted not to receive any
      mail from
      these Yahoo groups in my mailbox, I can just visit the Yahoo group
      website and
      read all the mail as it is also posted there. So I dont miss any mail
      and my
      personal mailbox also dosent get full.

      *
      Members can open Yahoo email Account at:
      https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.refer=slv&.intl=us&.src=ym
      A)
      Make your yahoo group at:

      https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.src=ygrp&.done=http%3a//g\
      roups.yahoo.com%2Fstart
      B)
      Members can make a Yahoo 360 profile with photos for them selves
      See a Sample Yahoo 360 Profile
      a) With attached Yahoo Photo Album
      b) With attached Yahoo Flickr Photo Acount unlimited space
      on the web
      for your photos
      Sample Yahoo 360 Profile:
      http://360.yahoo.com/profile-etXqe008aLOBBOm5VDQ-
      With attached Yahoo Photo Album:
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/msuagd/album?.dir=/4ab0re2&.src=ph
      With attached Yahoo Flickr Photo Acount:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/35602900@N00/
      "Photo album" and "Flickr" both are attached and can be seen on
      the main
      Yahoo 360 member profile sample page above:
      http://360.yahoo.com/profile-etXqe008aLOBBOm5VDQ-
      B-1)
      Members can make a Yahoo 360 profile with photos for themselves at:
      http://360.yahoo.com/reg/whatis.html
      Attach photos to their profile on “Yahoo Photos”, see sample
      above:

      https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=ph&partner=&.v=&.u=2jdncnt2fmgr2&.intl\
      =us&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/msuagd/album%3f.dir=/4ab0re2%26.src=ph
      Also attach unlimited photos on your Yahoo 360 Profile or "just on
      its own on
      the internet" at “Yahoo Flickr”:
      Flickr is part of Yahoo! Now it's even easier to connect with
      friends and
      family through your photos.

      https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.slogin=&.intl=us&.src=flkctx&.bypass=&.par\
      tner=&.done=https%3a//login.yahoo.com/config/validate%3f.src=flkctx%26.pc=5134%2\
      6.done=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.flickr.com%252Fsignin%252Fyahoo%252F

      *****5.
      Please co-ordinate on a long term basis your Gir and Asiatic Lion
      conservation
      and awareness work with the members of "Gir Nature Youth Club ".
      Please try to
      visit Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary as much as possible and keep reporting on
      developments there from time to time even after some Asiatic Lions
      make their
      homes there after being translocated from Gir. If possible visit
      villages around
      Kuno and educate them on your Asiatic Lions and do some slide shows
      and film
      shows for them and prepare them to live happily with Lions that will
      soon live
      there also. If possible raise some funds from Government and Private
      sources for
      this and your visits. Get in touch with MP government and forest
      Department to
      make arrangements for your stay at Kuno when ever you visit there.
      Take with you
      or encourage Mr. Amit and the members of "Gir Nature Youth Club" to also
      regularly visit Kuno as it is very very important step to protect the
      longterm
      survival of Asiatic Lions in the wild.

      The Address of Gir Nature Youth Club is:

      Gir Nature Youth Club
      Gujarat State
      At:Khambha, Di: Amreli
      Pin:365650( Gujarat ) India .
      Telaphone:02797-260121,260182
      Telefax:02797-260182

      Presently the President of "Gir Nature Youth Club" is:
      Mr. Amit B. Jethava
      Mobile:+91 94 269 38812
      Email: amitjethava@...
      amitjethava@...
      amit_jethava@...

      BUT PLEASE BE WARNED: MR. AMIT SEEMS TO BE POLITICALLY MOTIVATED AND IS
      THREATNING GOVERNMENT OF INDIA AND GOVERNMENT OF MADHYA PRADESH
      AGAINST THE MUCH
      NEEDED TRANSLOCATION OF SOME LIONS TO KUNO WILDLIFE SANTUARY. HE IS
      THREATENING
      TO START A POLITICLE MOVEMENT AGAINST THE KUNO LION PROJECT OF INDIA .
      ACCORDING TO WILDLIFE EXPERTS ALL OVER THE WORLD KUNO PROJECT IS VERY VERY
      IMPORTANT FOR THE CONTINUED SURVIVAL OF THE ASIATIC LION IN THE LONG RUN.

      PLEASE TRY TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH MR. AMIT AND REQUEST HIM TO SUPPORT
      SENDING
      SOME LIONS TO KUNO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. PLEASE IGNORE MR. AMIT's ALL
      ARGUMENTS
      AGAINST TRANLOCATING SOME ASIATIC LIONS TO KUNO WILDLIFE SANCTUARY.
      UNFORTUNATELY MR. AMIT IS MORE INTERESTED IN FURTHERING SOME POLITICLE
      AMBITION
      RATHER THEN SAVING THE ASIATIC LION. HE AND HIS CLUB MEMBERS SEEM TO
      BE INCITING
      SIMPLE VILLAGERS AROUND GIR TO ALSO APPOSE THE TRANSLOCATION OF SOME
      LIONS TO
      KUNO, SIMPLE MINDED VILLAGERS HAVE BEEN MANIPULATED BY HIM TO APPOSE
      THE KUNO
      PROJECT.
      ***** MR AMIT's Comments in media threatening to start a
      politicle problem:
      How come Mr. Amit Jethava and the “Gir Nature Youth Club” a
      staunch
      supporter for scientific wildlife conservation is warning that its
      members will
      launch an agitation across Saurashtra, if the NBWL(National Board for
      Wild Life)
      approves the proposal to reintroduce Lions to the Lion’s very own
      ancestral
      range in Madhya Pradesh. “We will mobilize nature lovers(Gujarati),
      environmentalists(Gujarati) and local villagers(Gujarati) in the
      region(Gujarat), and our members(Gujarati) will not even hesitate to
      stage a
      dharna in Delhi , and also resort to self-immolation if the Board
      okays the
      proposal”, threatened the club president Amit Jethava.”
      http://in.news.yahoo.com/060618/48/654uy.html
      http://www.asiatic-lion.org/news.html
      http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20060627/374359.html
      “Reacting to this, local conservationist and president of the
      Gir Nature
      Youth Club Amit Jethava said locals(Gujarati) were dead against the
      “translocation of lions”. “Scientifically, we(Gujaratis) see no
      reason to
      do
      this.”http://www.hindustantimes.com/2005/Jul/03/5922_1419385,0015002100000000.\
      htm

      ******6.
      Please do not forget Kuno and please cover it properly on your
      website when you
      get time and post special pages on Kuno. Kuno is one of the biggest
      steps that
      we as Indians can take to protect our Asiatic Lions, I found some more
      material
      on the web, here I am pasting some links for you below (at the bottom
      of this
      letter) to realise that Kuno is important and please dont ignore it.
      Please do
      your own search on the internet etc and get info on Kuno and also keep
      updating
      it over the years.

      I like your website, I hope over the years it becomes an important
      place for
      nature lovers and scientists to learn about Gir and the Asiatic Lions
      and you
      all continue to spread the awareness about the plight of our highly
      endangered
      Asiatic Lions. Also write and pass on articles to local Gujarati media and
      encourage them to write articles on Asiatic Lions and Gir and also how
      important
      it is to shift some Lions to Kuno wildlife Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh
      too.

      Thanks again and best wishes

      Atul Singh Nischal
      -atulsinghnischal@...

      Some more info and mention of Kuno I found on the net, please
      quickly skim
      through when you have some time:

      LION REINTRODUCTION PROGRAMME, KUNO WILDLIFE SANCTUARY, MP
      http://home.att.net/~spiderhunters/attachments/Lions.htm

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:jNTpV4wZ7-oJ:home.att.net/~spiderhunters/att\
      achments/update29.rtf+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=22

      Samrakshan's "Kuno Initiative":Madhya Pradesh Regional Office
      http://www.samrakshan.org/livelihood.htm

      http://india.eu.org/2772.html
      http://www.centralchronicle.com/20060320/2003307.htm

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Q0QyA0sp_2EJ:rajyasabha.nic.in/book2/reports\
      /science/139threport.htm+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=114

      http://www.downtoearth.org.in/full6.asp?foldername=20040715&filename=news&sec_id\
      =4&sid=39
      http://www.hindu.com/yw/2004/04/03/stories/2004040300030100.htm
      http://www.bigcats.com/return_of_the_king_200603.php

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:_XQh5gGLZikJ:www.gl.umbc.edu/~sjoshi1/mirror\
      /jpam20.shtml+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=87>

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:s2JoKfxTCxMJ:ces.iisc.ernet.in/hpg/envis/jpa\
      mdoc713.html+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=68

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:2gesNHbbfWEJ:wii.gov.in/envis/paupdates/jpam\
      january2000.htm+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=52

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:dFaNAWJ91kYJ:s1.wii.gov.in/envis/paupdates/u\
      pdate27-28.rtf+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=71

      http://sgp.undp.org/index.cfm?module=Projects&page=ShowProject&ProjectID=5364

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:bVCiJ7RJn7cJ:www.ceeindia.org/esf/wk13.asp+k\
      uno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=73>

      http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:1nhsQ7Ei5swJ:www.gl.umbc.edu/~sjoshi1/mirror\
      /jpam18.shtml+kuno+wildlife+sanctuary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=63>
      http://www.sanctuaryasia.com/events/wildlifeawards2002.php
      http://www.wildlifetrustofindia.org/html/news/2001/0101_rap_jan01.htm
      http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/15952/all
      http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20021222/spectrum/main5.htm
      http://www.learnnature.com/sanctuary/palpur.asp

      Once again thank you for your effort. Content of your mail is very
      much
      useful.

      Regards

      Kishore Kotecha
      128, Star Plaza, Phulchhab Chowk
      Rajkot 360 001 INDIA
      Phones: +91 281 2444 074, 2294 455
      Mobile: +91 98240 62062
      Email: info@...

      From: Reintroduction News, April 2005
      Contributed by R. J. Rao and Faiyaz A. Khudsar, SOS Zoology, Jiwaji
      University , Gwalior , Madhya Pradesh , India .
      E-mail: soszool@...
      Link:

      http://www.iucnsscrsg.org/images/Rnews24.pdf#search=%22Proposed%20re-introductio\
      n%20of%20the%20Asiatic%20Lion%20in%20the%20Kuno%20Palpur%20Sanctuary%2C%20Madhya\
      %20Pradesh%2C%20India%22
      ********************
      Controversy over saving the last Asiatic lions
      By: Peter Jackson, Chairman Emeritus, Cat Specialist Group, World
      Conservation Union (IUCN).
      From: Reintroduction News, April 2006
      Peter Jackson, Chairman Emeritus, Cat Specialist Group, World
      Conservation
      Union (IUCN).
      E-mail: peterfr.jackson@...
      Link:

      http://www.iucnsscrsg.org/images/Rnews25.pdf#search=%22Proposed%20re-introductio\
      n%20of%20the%20Asiatic%20Lion%20in%20the%20Kuno%20Palpur%20Sanctuary%2C%20Madhya\
      %20Pradesh%2C%20India%22

      **********************

      IUCN/SSC Re-introduction Specialist Group
      http://www.iucnsscrsg.org/

      *****************

      Re-introduction Specialist Group, RSG Downloads Available:
      To access and download the various RSG Newlsetters, Policy
      Guidelines, RSG
      Resorce CD and other publications please visit the Downloads Page.
      http://www.iucnsscrsg.org/downloads.html

      **********************
      Please also see:
      Gir lions on the verge of extinction
      Bahar Dutt, CNN-IBN, Posted Tuesday , January 17, 2006 at 19:03
      Watch the Video:

      http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/3872/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction.html
      News Source:

      http://www.ibnlive.com/news/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction/3872-3-0.html

      ****************
      Amongst other research sources also visit:

      Asiatic Lion information Centre and also its Latest News (1997
      onwards) pages
      to see how Gujarat has been acting overly selfish and preventing the
      much needed
      re-introduction of some Asiatic Lions to Central India, how important
      it is for
      Gujaratis to become wiser now to the true needs of ensuring the long term
      survival of their Asiatic Lions:
      http://www.asiatic-lion.org/news.html
      **************************

      From: Reintroduction News, April 2006

[...]

      By: Bahar Dutt, CNN-IBN, Posted Tuesday , January 17, 2006 at 19:03

      Watch the CNN-IBN Video:

      http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/3872/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction.html

      News Source: IBNLive

      http://www.ibnlive.com/news/gir-lions-on-the-verge-of-extinction/3872-3-0.html

      ****************

      Amongst other research sources also visit:

      Asiatic Lion information Center and also its Latest News (1997
      onwards) pages
      to see how Gujarat has been acting overly selfish and preventing the
      much needed
      re-introduction of some Asiatic Lions to Central India, how important
      it is for
      Gujaratis to become wiser now to the true needs of ensuring the long term
      survival of their Asiatic Lions:

      http://www.asiatic-lion.org/news.html

      **************************

      Lions that fell into well rescued
      (Wild Asiatic Lions at Gir Sanctuary)

      By: Sibte Husain Bukhari

      http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=198091

      **********************

      Male lions rescued from well in Amreli
      [ 24 Aug, 2006 0651hrs IST PTI ]

      http://www.asiatic-lion.org/news.html

      **************************************

      Are lions Gujarati?
      By: Proloy Bagchi

      ****************************

      MP not fit for Asiatic lions, Gujarat tells PM

      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1661290,prtpage-1.cms
      http://in.news.yahoo.com/060618/48/654uy.html

      Lion translocation issue heats up as MP CM visits Gir tomorrow
      http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20060627/374359.html

      Gir lions held hostage!

      http://www.centralchronicle.com/20050914/1409302.htm

      Gujarat State opposed to shifting of lions from Gir:

      The Forest Minister of Gujarat, Kanjibhai Patel recently told the State
      Assembly that the state had not received any directive from the Central
      Government for the shifting of lions from Gir to Madhya Pradesh. He
      said that
      the government would take the assembly into confidence if anything of
      the kind
      was to be taken up and that the move would be opposed.

      Earlier, in July, the Junagadh legislator, Mahendra Mashru had
      threatened to
      launch a public awareness drive in the matter. He said that there was no
      question of shifting lions from the state as it was a matter of pride for
      Gujarat . He said that the Centre had an ˜imaginary fear" that the
      Gir lions
      would become extinct if not shifted. Recent census figures, he pointed
      out, had
      shown an increase in their numbers. He also said that like Gir, the
      Kuno forests
      where they are to be shifted could also be affected by infections and
      the idea
      to move them was the ˜brainwave" of a forest officer, in which Gujarat
      would be
      the loser. (Also see PA Updates 32, 26, 22 and 20).

      Source: ˜Shifting of lions from Gir draws legislators , The Times of
      India,
      14/07/2001
      State opposed to shifting of lions from Gir, The Times of India,
      10/08/2001 .

      http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:RWHEiTVslMIJ:home.att.net/~spiderhunters/atta\
      chments/update33.rtf+Gir+Nature+Youth+Club+opposes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14

      Gujarat should change its selfish & biased stand and wholeheartedly
      support the
      future wellbeing of Asiatic Lions by helping in re-introducing
      “some” wild
      Asiatic Lions to Central India as well

      Lion Links on BBC
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/pride/relatedlinks.shtml

      *********************

      Experts point out even the relatively numerous African Lions also
      getting very
      'close to extinction' having fallen from 200,000 to only 23,000 in
      just the last
      20 years.
      Lion populations have fallen by almost 90% in the past 20 years,
      leaving the
      animal close to extinction in Africa , a wildlife expert has warned.

      NOW IMAGINE HOW GRAVE THE SITUATION IS FOR JUST OVER 300 OR SO
      ASIATIC LIONS
      THAT ARE LEFT IN THE WHOLE WORLD, ALL OF THEM CROWDED IN INDIA IN ONE
      SINGLE GIR
      FOREST

      Please Act Soon to Save The Asiatic Lion From Imminent EXCTINCTION
      -atulsinghnischal@...

      BOOKS ON ASIATIC LION:-

      Asiatic lion, on the brink by Asheem Srivastav, 247 pages,
      Publisher: Bishen
      Singh Mahendra Pal Singh ( 09/01/1999 ), ISBN: 8121101735

      The Story of Asias Lions by Divyabhanusinh; Marg Publications,
      Mumbai, 2005;
      pages 260, Rs.1,850 (hardbound), ISBN: 8185026661.
      OTHER IMPORTANT/FAMOUS BOOK BY SAME AUTHOUR
      The End of a Trail: The Cheetah in India

      Gir Forest and the Saga of the Asiatic Lion Sudipta Mitra. New
      Delhi ,
      Indus , 2005, 254 p., plates, ISBN 81-7387-183-3

      Gir National Park & Sanctuary: Bibliography/Mahesh Singh, Punil P.
      Gajjar and
      Badrish S. Mehra. Dehra Dun , Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 2002,
      187 p.,
      ISBN 81-211-0272-3

      Miscellaneous:

      http://www.wii.gov.in/publications/newsletter/winter04/wii%20in%20field.htm
      http://www.webindia123.com/wildlife/parks/gujarat/gir.htm

      http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?rep=2&aid=307548&ssid=26&sid=ENV
      http://www.indianlink.com.au/?q=node/1366
      http://www.gazelle.8m.net/photo3.html

      Asias Last Lions: National Geographic
      Extinction stalks the Asiatic lion, a regal subspecies now crowded
      into a
      single sanctuary in India Gir Forest .

      Excellent multimedia presentation (Flash)
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0106/feature3/media2.html

      Aticle and Links
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0106/feature3/index.html

      Klum Photography: Asiatic Lions
      http://www.klum.se/gallery/images.aspx?ID=2&OrderNr=1

      National Geographic “Forum” on Asiatic Lions:

      http://mesa.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?forum=asiatic_lio\
      ns

      CENTRAL & STATE GOVERNMENT WEBSITES IN INDIA OF THE STATES OF
      "Madhya Pradesh"
      (KUNO) AND " Gujarat " (GIR):-

      The Indian Government National Website Description of Kuno Wildlife
      Sanctuary
      needs to be updated with the lion re-introduction project introduction
      too,
      somebody needs to write to them:-

      http://sheopur.nic.in/kuno.htm
      http://sheopur.nic.in/

      http://www.home.nic.in/

      Site designed and hosted by
      National Informatics Centre, Madhya Pradesh
      Contents Provided, Maintained and Updated by Collectorate, Sheopur,
      Madhya
      Pradesh
      disclaimer

      Any queries can be kindly sent to
      morena@... or webmaster@...

      State Government of Madhya Pradesh Website
      http://www.mp.nic.in/

      Forest Department, State Government of Madhya Pradesh
      http://www.forest.mp.gov.in/index.html

      Kuno Sanctuary
      http://www.forest.mp.gov.in/kuno.html

      Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project at Kuno-Palpur Sanctuary of
      Madhya Pradesh
      http://www.forest.mp.gov.in/wildlife.html

      Forests & Environment Department - State Govt. Of Gujarat
      http://gujenvfor.gswan.gov.in/

      Gir National Park & Wildlife Sanctuary
      http://www.gujaratforest.gov.in/wildlife/gir1.htm

      National Parks & Wildlife Sanctuaries, State of Gujarat
      http://www.gujaratforest.gov.in/wildlife/nat_parks.htm

      GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (CENTRAL) MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT & FORESTS
      http://envfor.nic.in/

      http://www.frienvis.nic.in/home.asp
      http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/hpg/envis/Welcome.html
      http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/

      http://www.mit.gov.in/

      Indian Gov. Websites Directory:
      http://goidirectory.nic.in/

      GOVERNMENT OF INDIA MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT & FORESTS
      http://www.envfor.nic.in/
      http://www.envfor.nic.in/divisions/9-10.pdf
      http://rajyasabha.nic.in/book2/reports/science/139threport.htm

      "WILDLIFE INSTITUTE OF INDIA"
      ***Wildlife Institute of India*** (WII)
      Post Bag #18, Chandrabani
      Dehradun - 248 001, Uttaranchal â€" INDIA

      Website: http://www.wii.gov.in/
      Email : wii@...
      Ph. : +91 135 2640111 -15, Fax : +91 135 2640117

      ***Related Sites*** :- http://www.wii.gov.in/relatedsites.htm

      Environmental NGOs :-

      Check Related Sites from WII page:-
      http://www.wii.gov.in/relatedsites.htm

      1.

      The Secretary General and CEO
      WWF-India, (WORLD WILDLIFE FUND-INDIA)
      Pirojsha Godrej National Conservation Centre
      172-B,Max Mueller Marg
      Lodhi Estate
      New Delhi - 110 003.
      Website: http://www.wwfindia.org/index.jsp
      email: tcp@...
      Telephone: +91-11-24693744/ 24616532/ 24691760-62

      2.

      The Honorary Secretary
      Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS)
      Hornbill House
      Shaheed Bhagat Singh Road
      Mumbai - 400 023.
      ( Maharashtra ).
      Website: http://www.bnhs.org
      email: bnhs@...
      Telephone: +91-22-22821811
      Fax: +91-22-22837615

      COME FACE TO FACE WITH THE IRANIAN / INDIAN / "ASIATIC CHEETAH" AT:

      The last remaining ***ASIATIC CHEETAHS*** are slowly vanishing from Iran .
      As recent as in 1940s the Asiatic Lion finally vanished from Iran
      completely, Iran might hold some skins, stuffed specimens extracted
      dna from
      which in the future could contribute to increase the gene pool of
      inbred Asiatic
      lions in India . There must be a good history, some interesting
      literature &
      photographs about Asiatic lions there too in Iran .

      ***Also ASIATIC CHEETAHS need desperate help now:

      Official Iran Government Project Website is at:
      http://cheetah.irandoe.org/index.html
      ICS is a NGO: http://www.iraniancheetah.org/
      Found this: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-7I8fP348dLSk.R7YaVqAukEi
      http://www.cheetah.org/?nd=47
      http://www.bigcats.com/review_iranian_cheetah.php
      Yahoo Group of ICS:
      Iran Zoo: http://www.iranzoo.cjb.net/ (look for Asiatic Lion &
      Asiatic
      Cheetah Info at the Zoo website)
      Environment Gov: http://www.biodiversity.ir/
      http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/article_14134.shtml

      http://www.felidae.org/PROJECTS/Asiatic_Cheetah/asadi1997/asadi1997.htm

      Call for the Conservation of Asiatic Cheetah
      Secretariat of the Conservation of Asiatic Cheetah Project (CACP)

      Every living creature is a unique and irreplaceable outcome of
      million years of
      perfection, a wonder of unmatched aesthetic value. As human beings
      living on
      this planet, we need to preserve the diversity of our world, either
      through
      donations or through other means of support. We need strategies that are
      scientifically studied and tempered by experience.

      Having gone extinct in other parts of the continent, where it once
      thrived in
      large numbers, the Asiatic Cheetah is in dire need for help. CACP was an
      acknowledgement of the precarious situation that the cheetah found
      itself in.
      The Project was launched August 2001 and less than 2 years remains
      until its
      termination. We invite researchers, scientists, university students,
      lecturers,
      members of Non-governmental Organizations, and all those who are
      concerned with
      environmental conservation to join us in doing what is necessary.

      CACP asks for your suggestions, criticisms, and practical solutions.
      The world
      would be a more harmonious place if everyone took part in the
      Conservation of
      Asiatic Cheetah Project.
      http://cheetah.irandoe.org/Call%20for%20CACP/index.htm
      http://cheetah.irandoe.org/index.html