The hare and the tortoise: One small step for four SNPs, one giant leap for SNP-kind

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
    Hi,

    This paper is just out. Right now this is not affordable technology
    but we may as well begin contemplating it now. :-)

    Rebekah
    ---

    Yali Xue, Chris Tyler-Smith,
    The hare and the tortoise: One small step for four SNPs, one giant
    leap for SNP-kind,
    Forensic Science International: Genetics,
    In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 2 September 2009,
    ISSN 1872-4973,
    DOI: 10.1016/j.fsigen.2009.08.005.
    (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B8CX7-4X4RCR7-2/2/dcea1531a47aa2b7fd4da20f21acbc4d)

    Abstract:
    A recently published study has used next-gen sequencing technology to
    resequence two Y chromosomes separated by 13 generations and
    discovered four single-base differences in ~10 Mb DNA, suggesting that
    the Y chromosome euchromatin accumulates around one mutation per
    generation. Y-SNPs therefore now offer the best resolution of Y
    haplotypes and promise to distinguish almost every Y chromosome. This
    work illustrates the promise of current sequencing technology for
    forensically relevant applications.

    Forensic applications