Human Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes in a Kurdish population sample

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2007
      This is a small study that was done of Kurds from northern Iraq. I
      wish that the authors had been a little clearer about the backgrounds
      of their subjects.

      DYS389 requires some math. DYS389I is p+q and DYS389II is m+n+p+q.

      Rebekah

      Human Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes in a Kurdish population sample
      Journal International Journal of Legal Medicine
      Publisher Springer Berlin / Heidelberg
      ISSN 0937-9827 (Print) 1437-1596 (Online)
      Issue Volume 112, Number 3 / April, 1999
      Category Original article
      DOI 10.1007/s004140050228
      Pages 181-183
      Subject Collection Medicine
      SpringerLink Date Thursday, February 19, 2004

      Authors
      C. Brinkmann 1, P. Forster 2, M. Schürenkamp 2, J. Horst 1, B. Rolf 2,
      B. Brinkmann 2

      1Institut für Humangenetik, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität,
      Vesaliusweg 12-14, D-48149 Münster, Germany
      2Institut für Rechtsmedizin, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität,
      Von-Esmarch-Strasse 62, D-48149 Münster, Germany email:
      brinkma@... Tel. +49-251-83-55161; Fax +49-251-83-55158
      Abstract

      In an Iraqi Kurdish population sample (n = 101), seven polymorphic STR
      loci of the Y-chromosome (DYS19, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, and
      DXYS156-Y) were typed, with DYS389 being subtyped for its four
      segments. The haplotype diversity was 97.83% and 82 different
      haplotypes were observed. The Kurds shared some Y-types with
      neighbouring south Turks but strikingly few with Germans: it is 20-30
      times more likely to find a sequence match in a random pair of Kurds
      than in a random Kurd-German pair.

      Keywords
      Key words Y-chromosome · Kurdistan · Microsatellite · Match · Probability