Q* versus Q1b

  • bjeffreyjoseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      I am new to all of this and just received my initial test results from myFTDNA.

      It shows me falling into a "predicted" Q* - M242, not Q1b w/ M378.

      From the description on your front page, does this mean I don't have enough info to determine if I'm of true Jewish descents?

      Would I need to do the "Deep Clade" test to get a "confirmed" read on this?

      I have results of the first three marker levels for my Y-DNA (down to marker 37)

      Please advise...
    • dshowardca
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
        Jeff,

        With 37 markers we should be able to sort you out without the deep clade test. You need to join two "surname" projects at Family Tree DNA.

        Firs Join Rebekah Canada's project for all Q's. She will put you in the right spot and give you great advice. Here is the link to join (I assume you tested with the Houston based Family Tree DNA because you live in Texas).

        Here is the link to that project. Click where it says to Join and enter your kit number and password.

        Rebekah's Project

        Next join our Jewish_Q Project

        We will look over your results and see how you fit.

        Do you have any family tradition of being Jewish?

        Where do you think your father's father's father's . . . father came from?

        For all members of this discussion group I encourage you to join both the projects mentioned above.

        Dave Howard
      • dshowardca
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
          I have sent you a detailed reply under separate cover.

          I have also spent quite a bit of time regrouping people at the Jewish_Q site at Family Tree DNA.

          While your mtDNA shows your mother is Irish your yDNA is Jewish Q. You appear to be a Q1b because people on either side of you have been tested and are Jewish Q's.

          Your closest matches in our group are Susan Berkson and Brian Baraban.

          Thanks for the family history.

          I encourage others to take a look at the new groupings.

          In the category where I say not Q1b I have looked at their family origins and I see no Jewish matches. Unless that person has the deep clade test for SNP M378 I say they are not Q1b unless they can prove differently.