Philly '09 Haplogroup Q BOF

  • mmpalmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
      It's been a LONG day. The banquet just finished. Time for bed.

      Attended the BOF

      Lloyd Friedman
      Georgia Haken
      Mike Jarow
      Herb Huebscher (Haplogroup J2)
      Mike Palmer
      Maurice Rosenstraus
      Judy Simon
      Mike Tarkoff

      Herb (Administrator of WIRTH project at FTDNA) attended to help us through the session.

      Very brief summary: Each talked about their paternal histories. Then we discussed: the monthly reports sent by Barry Zwick and the statistics in the accompanying letter, Median Linking Network, SNP vs STR, possible new Sephardic Qs, Khazarian connection or lack of it, FamilyTreeDNA (the FTDNA staff, including Bennett, left the conference at noon and did NOT attend the BOF). And more that I can't remember!!! Nothing monumental.

      Note: The Daily Planner for the conference left out our BOF completely, just a BLANK space for Thursday from 3:30 - 4:45pm. They corrected the omission by printing in the Daily Planner Updates & Corrections, "BOF: Y-DNA Haplogroup B" I didn't know there were Jews in Haplogroup B !!! But it was fun.....
    • Barryzwick@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
        Thanks so much, Michael!

        Did you send this to some selected Q's or to everyone on our list of matches? I ask because I want to know whether I should forward this.

        Of course the session would have been a lot more informative (1) if the conference had put our group on the schedule, attracting a larger turnout I would hope, and (2) if Bennett Greenspan or someone knowledgeable from Family Tree DNA had been present. I'm sure it was not a deliberate oversight, since we were not on the schedule, but Bennett told Dave Howard that we are an unusual group, and I would think he would want to address us. From a purely business point of view, since so many of us have tested on 37 or 67 markers, we are a solid revenue source.

        I hope some of our matches were amiable companions.

        Anyway, I hope you're enjoying seeing family in Philadelphia, an underrated American city for sightseeing in my opinion. I haven't lived there since 1964, but I've been back and would like to return.

        Barry

        In a message dated 8/6/2009 8:22:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, m.palmer@... writes:

[...]

        .
      • Michael L. Jaron
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2009
          Hello All!

          I'm supposed to be the research coordinator for the Ukraine Special
          Interest Group. More accurately, I'm a loose cannon for the SIG which
          is a long story.

          This morning I started summarily planning for a research project which,
          given other priorities, will take me about 6 months to finish planning.

          What does this have to do with "Q"? Funny you should ask! :-)
          This morning I was playing with part of the process, using YUROVSKY
          and/or Zolotonosha (were my grandfather was from). The following
          surnames appeared:
          GUREVICH
          SHAKINOVSKY
          FRIEDMAN