Speaking of mtDNA Testing - My 2 Cents

  • Dave Howard
    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2009
      I am new to the mtDNA testing and I took Bennett Greenspan's advice and had my entire molecule sequenced (regular price $439). Rebekah understands this stuff so much better than I do. She is the group administrator for the monstrously large Haplogroup H for mtDNA.

      The mutations on the mtDNA molecule are not as frequent as the mutations in the STR markers on the yDNA molecule. This means you can have an exact match at all 16,500 locations and still you may find it difficult to match up. Rebekah is correct it is important to look to matches who share geographic location. Surnames are a real problem because you are looking at your mother's mother's mother's mother. Surnames get lost for women.

      The way you are categorized is much different for mtDNA. Your results are compared to a standard molecule as defined in a study at Cambridge University. Unfortunately, this standard woman has turned out to not to be the best person to have chosen as the standard. Thus many of us have more base pairs than she does. This is not that much of a problem with modern computers etc. It is not really necessary to understand this stuff.

      Your results for your mtDNA are your differences from the Cambridge standard.

      I do feel the mtDNA stuff does help you understand your origins.

      I have just contributed my 2 cents.

      Dave