Anything New?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22 10:45 PM
      Sleepy group.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22 11:15 PM
        Well, since you asked, does anyone lay claim to being related to the Gaon of Vilna?  I've heard from two sources in my distant family that they are.

        Here's something I copied a while back about the history of Lithuania.

        "The first Jews to settle in Lithuania in the 11th century came from the land of the Khazars, on the lower Volga River, from Crimea on the Black Sea and from Bohemia. Originally, the Jews came to the land of the Khazars from the Byzantine kingdom, where they had been oppressed. The Khazars had welcomed the Jews and later had been converted to Judaism. When the Khazars were overrun by the Mongols and Russians, the Jews settled in Lithuania, whose rulers, at that time, were extremely tolerant."  Of course, it hasn't been proven that  Q1    is from Khazaria, but it's a theory,  I guess.   Anymore information on Khazars?
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22 11:31 PM
          Well, as for the Khazars, I am still skeptical, my closes genetic
          matches that are discernibly Ashkenazim are 30 or 40 generations away,
          around the 11th century. Prior to eastward diaspora, but then again
          the jokes about the traveling salesman(Peddler)and the Swiss Maiden
          had to originate somewhere, so who knows?
        • KRUPA
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23 12:28 AM
            Dear Nadene,

            The Russian Academy of DNA Genealogy, recently discussed FTDNA
            The Ashina/Bulanid Royal Dynasty (Imperial Clan) DNA Project,
            where I am administrator.

            It has been mainly accepted that this is so far the most founded
            proposal. As matter in fact one of academy members analysed /in
            tables/ even further our genetic data in haplogroup Q.

            And,latest findings of Q1b mutation speaks in that direction, too
            /closer biolog. connection with certain population of
            west-central Asia/.

            I have asked for further information /for better understanding/
            from Russia, but I didnt received so far any reply.

            Regards,

            Alfred

            Citiram NADENE GOLDFOOT <goldfoot1@...>:

            > Well, since you asked, does anyone lay claim to being related to the
            > Gaon of Vilna? I've heard from two sources in my distant family that
            > they are.
            >
            > Here's something I copied a while back about the history of Lithuania.
            >
            > "The first Jews to settle in Lithuania in the 11th century came from
            > the land of the Khazars, on the lower Volga River, from Crimea on the
            > Black Sea and from Bohemia. Originally, the Jews came to the land of
            > the Khazars from the Byzantine kingdom, where they had been
            > oppressed. The Khazars had welcomed the Jews and later had been
            > converted to Judaism. When the Khazars were overrun by the Mongols
            > and Russians, the Jews settled in Lithuania, whose rulers, at that
            > time, were extremely tolerant." Of course, it hasn't been proven
            > that Q1 is from Khazaria, but it's a theory, I guess. Anymore
            > information on Khazars?
            > Nadene

            ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ----------------------
            Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
            Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
            http://shopping.tportal.hr
          • KRUPA
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25 4:45 AM
              Dear members of DNA forum,

              For my personal curiosity in July of this year I have contacted
              one 75 year old shaman, about what she thinks about my
              biological origin. We have exchanges some 50-60 emails.

              Her "findings" ,trough shamanic journeys and lucid dreaming was
              very, very interesting.

              This is not subject of this forum, as this is scientific forum,
              and that was occult /that means non-scientific/ research,
              therefore anybody who is interesting what "spirits" told to her
              about my ancestry (that means that those messages are applicable
              on good part of You, if not all), please contact me in private
              communication on my address ;mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr

              Just a few words about her; Emeliye Ulubayan Eaglewoman MA PhD,
              she is from old musician family from South Russia, residing in
              London,author of "A Dream Shrouded in Wind -21st century Khazar
              Shamanic Voice", and "The Schapiro Legacy", "Applehouse Supreme"
              etc.

              Regards,

              Alfred
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2008
                "In the gene pool of Northern Altaians, it is the
                second most frequent haplogroup /Q/ after R1a1 (22%); in
                Southern Altaians, the proportion of this haplogroup /Q/ is
                significantly lower (4%). In earlier studies, haplogroup
                Q* with different frequencies was described in most of
                Siberian ethnic groups. With low frequency (1 to 17%;
                with the average of 5%) this haplogroup is found in
                Middle and Central Asia, India, and Siberia [27, 53].
                High frequencies of haplogroup Q* are detected among
                Native Americans (up to 25%), where it is the second
                most frequent haplogroup after its derivative, haplo-
                group Q3 [54]. In Siberia, this haplogroup accounts for
                the lion’s share (66%) of the Selkup gene pool [27],
                while the highest Q* frequency was detected in Kets
                (94%). In other parts of the region the Q* frequency
                varies in the range from 5 to 15%. It is suggested that
                peak frequency of haplogroup Q* in the region of con-
                temporary residence of Kets and Selkups does not point
                to this region as to the center of origin of this haplo-
                group. It is known that presumptive motherland of the
                ethnic groups mentioned above is located in South
                Siberia, where their ancestors are thought to have pen-
                etrated from Central Asia [55, 56]. These data are con-
                sistent with the information on the significant participa-
                tion of the Samoyedic ethnic groups in the ethnogeny of
                Northern Altaians."

                From;

                ISSN 1022-7954, Russian Journal of Genetics, 2007, Vol. 43, No.
                5, pp. 551–562. © Pleiades Publishing, Inc., 2007.
                Original Russian Text © V.N. Kharkov, V.A. Stepanov, O.F.
                Medvedeva, M.G. Spiridonova, M.I. Voevoda, V.N. Tadinova, V.P.
                Puzyrev, 2007, published in Genetika, 2007, Vol. 43,
                No. 5, pp. 675–687.

                Analysis of Gene Pool Differences between Northern and Southern
                Altaians

                Inferred from the Data on Y-Chromosomal Haplogroups
                V. N. Kharkova, V. A. Stepanova, O. F. Medvedeva, M. G.Piridonova
                ,M. I. Voevoda,V. N. Tadinova, and V. P. Puzyreva
                Institute of Medical Genetics, Tomsk Scientific Center, Russian
                Academy of Medical Sciences, Tomsk, 634050 Russia;
                fax: (3822)51-37-44; e-mail: vadim.stepanov@...
                Institute of Internal Medicine, Russian Academy of Medical
                Sciences, Novosibirsk, 630089 Russia; fax: (3832)64-25-16
                Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences,
                Novosibirsk, 630090 Russia; fax: (383)333-12-78
                Republican Children Hospital, Gorno-Altaisk, 649002 Altai
                Republic, Russia; fax: (38822)2-61-86
                Received March 6, 2006