Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Q among Caspian region Peoples?

  • king harold
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
      Look at the existing yDNA maps, Ancestry  DNA's  got one. National Geographic got one. Much of the testing was done for academic research. It is limited but still of value. Most Testing of these populations is not down to the STR level but it need not be if we are just looking to see if they are from the same branch. If the are clearly far from us whats the point of doing testing to see if we are distant cousins?

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
        Looking at STR and SNP can be sort of like ordering a CAT scan after a completely normal x-ray. These tests cost money and there are those who make a living by testing, testing and testing even when its absurd to test further. They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion about genetic  proximity can be drawn.

        --
        Peace and Light,
        Rebekah

      • Alessandro Biondo
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
          >They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion about genetic
          >proximity can be drawn

          Exactly,

          but I can add:
          what kind of genetic proximity are you looking for? A close proximity
          within the last 1000 years for example, or a more ancient, and wide,
          genetic proximity? Or maybe both?. Nobody can fix for us what we are
          searching for.
          and again:
          are the conclusions to be investigated and extracted by searching in
          all the available genetic data, or are we satisfied just by reading on
          surface some selected data, to find a sort of confirmation to our
          belief or preference?

          The answer to these questions doesn't depend on our spending in
          genetic testing, but in how many useful and wide genetic data are
          produced by the researcher. When the scientific community make the
          data available, it depends by us to have the willingness and the open
          mind to make our research, possibly on the more scientific data we
          can. Scientific data are the more important key to allow us a better
          and fair understanding.

          Alessandro.

          --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, king harold <arrowin1066@...> wrote:

          > Looking at STR and SNP can be sort of like ordering a CAT scan after
          a completely normal x-ray. These tests cost money and there are those
          who make a living by testing, testing and testing even when its absurd
          to test further. They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion
          about genetic  proximity can be drawn.

        • KRUPA
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
            Dear Allessandro,

            I have asked FTDNA how many people tested Y-DNA from Central
            Asia.

            This is respond;
            I have approximate counts of the number who have reported these
            as their country of origin. From Uzbekistan we have around 150,
            Turkmenistan 0 (if there is another name this country is under
            based on the ISO definitions, it would be listed under that
            other name). From Kyrgyzstan we have 12 and Kazakhstan around
            50.

            E-mail any time,
            Eileen Krause
            Family Tree DNA
            www.familytreedna.com

            I can underline that this is really nothing and absolutely no
            conclusive example, in comparison that in Uzbekistan lives over
            22.000.000 people, in Turkmenistan over 5.000.000, in Kazakhstan
            over 15.000.000 and in Kyrgyzstan over 5.000.000 people.

            But, if we know that percentage of Q in Uzbekistan and
            Turkmenistan is between 10-14% of total population, that is
            largest number of Q's outside Americas /in quick calculation
            around 10-11 million Q's/.

            My Haplogroup Q chart shows 2 matches from Uzbekistan, and one
            from Siberia.
            All 3 are clasified as Q1.
            There is also one other distant haplotype match /-4/ from
            Bukhara, as Ysearch base shows.

            Alfred
            ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ----------------------
            Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
            Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
            http://shopping.tportal.hr
          • KRUPA
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
              If we have in mind Q distribution and check Khazarian historic
              maps, it is self-conclusive, by my opinion.
              For maps;
              http://www.geocities.com/ayatoles/

              Citiram KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr>:

              > Dear Allessandro,
              >
              > I have asked FTDNA how many people tested Y-DNA from Central
              > Asia.
              >
              > This is respond;
              > I have approximate counts of the number who have reported these
              > as their country of origin. From Uzbekistan we have around 150,
              > Turkmenistan 0 (if there is another name this country is under
              > based on the ISO definitions, it would be listed under that
              > other name). From Kyrgyzstan we have 12 and Kazakhstan around
              > 50.
              >
              > E-mail any time,
              > Eileen Krause
              > Family Tree DNA
              > www.familytreedna.com
              >
              > I can underline that this is really nothing and absolutely no
              > conclusive example, in comparison that in Uzbekistan lives over
              > 22.000.000 people, in Turkmenistan over 5.000.000, in Kazakhstan
              > over 15.000.000 and in Kyrgyzstan over 5.000.000 people.
              >
              > But, if we know that percentage of Q in Uzbekistan and
              > Turkmenistan is between 10-14% of total population, that is
              > largest number of Q's outside Americas /in quick calculation
              > around 10-11 million Q's/.
              >
              > My Haplogroup Q chart shows 2 matches from Uzbekistan, and one
              > from Siberia.
              > All 3 are clasified as Q1.
              > There is also one other distant haplotype match /-4/ from
              > Bukhara, as Ysearch base shows.
              >

              > Alfred

              ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ----------------------
              Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
              Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
              http://shopping.tportal.hr
            • Michael Palmer
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2008
                In 1930 my father's father lived in Middletown, CT with his wife, five sons & a daughter. He and his brothers were running a clothing business.
                My grandfather & his sibling came to the US in the early 1900s from Amdur (Indura), Russia which is now in Belarus.  We have not yet been able to trace back any further.
                Michael Palmer
                On Jul 1, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Rebekah Canada wrote:

                Hi,

                To start things could everyone list where their Q was living in 1930?
                Who lived with them? What did they do for a living?

                --
                Peace and Light,
                Rebekah

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5, 2008
                  My Q was working as a farm hand on his future father-in-law's farm
                  outside of Gayville South Dakota. In 1930, he was the only one, his
                  father died in 1907, he had no brothers, he had four sisters and
                  several half and step siblings.

                  --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Rebekah Canada"