Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Q among Caspian region Peoples?

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2 6:09 AM
      Hello,

      Could you please say what SNPs were used, what STR values were and the citations for the papers? Most early papers used the SNP for P and the SNP for R1. So the samples could be true P, R2, or Q.

      On 7/2/08, king harold <arrowin1066@...> wrote:
      I have done a ton of research on Q.

      --
      Peace and Light,
      Rebekah
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2 6:23 AM
        Look at the existing yDNA maps, Ancestry  DNA's  got one. National Geographic got one. Much of the testing was done for academic research. It is limited but still of value. Most Testing of these populations is not down to the STR level but it need not be if we are just looking to see if they are from the same branch. If the are clearly far from us whats the point of doing testing to see if we are distant cousins?

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2 6:39 AM
          Looking at STR and SNP can be sort of like ordering a CAT scan after a completely normal x-ray. These tests cost money and there are those who make a living by testing, testing and testing even when its absurd to test further. They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion about genetic  proximity can be drawn.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2 7:13 AM
            >They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion about genetic
            >proximity can be drawn

            Exactly,

            but I can add:
            what kind of genetic proximity are you looking for? A close proximity
            within the last 1000 years for example, or a more ancient, and wide,
            genetic proximity? Or maybe both?. Nobody can fix for us what we are
            searching for.
            and again:
            are the conclusions to be investigated and extracted by searching in
            all the available genetic data, or are we satisfied just by reading on
            surface some selected data, to find a sort of confirmation to our
            belief or preference?

            The answer to these questions doesn't depend on our spending in
            genetic testing, but in how many useful and wide genetic data are
            produced by the researcher. When the scientific community make the
            data available, it depends by us to have the willingness and the open
            mind to make our research, possibly on the more scientific data we
            can. Scientific data are the more important key to allow us a better
            and fair understanding.

            Alessandro.

            --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, king harold <arrowin1066@...> wrote:

            > Looking at STR and SNP can be sort of like ordering a CAT scan after
            a completely normal x-ray. These tests cost money and there are those
            who make a living by testing, testing and testing even when its absurd
            to test further. They key is to STOP testing as soon as conclusion
            about genetic  proximity can be drawn.

          • KRUPA
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2 8:04 AM
              Dear Allessandro,

              I have asked FTDNA how many people tested Y-DNA from Central
              Asia.

              This is respond;
              I have approximate counts of the number who have reported these
              as their country of origin. From Uzbekistan we have around 150,
              Turkmenistan 0 (if there is another name this country is under
              based on the ISO definitions, it would be listed under that
              other name). From Kyrgyzstan we have 12 and Kazakhstan around
              50.

              E-mail any time,
              Eileen Krause
              Family Tree DNA
              www.familytreedna.com

              I can underline that this is really nothing and absolutely no
              conclusive example, in comparison that in Uzbekistan lives over
              22.000.000 people, in Turkmenistan over 5.000.000, in Kazakhstan
              over 15.000.000 and in Kyrgyzstan over 5.000.000 people.

              But, if we know that percentage of Q in Uzbekistan and
              Turkmenistan is between 10-14% of total population, that is
              largest number of Q's outside Americas /in quick calculation
              around 10-11 million Q's/.

              My Haplogroup Q chart shows 2 matches from Uzbekistan, and one
              from Siberia.
              All 3 are clasified as Q1.
              There is also one other distant haplotype match /-4/ from
              Bukhara, as Ysearch base shows.

              Alfred
              ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ----------------------
              Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
              Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
              http://shopping.tportal.hr
            • KRUPA
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 2 8:31 AM
                If we have in mind Q distribution and check Khazarian historic
                maps, it is self-conclusive, by my opinion.
                For maps;
                http://www.geocities.com/ayatoles/

                Citiram KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr>:

                > Dear Allessandro,
                >
                > I have asked FTDNA how many people tested Y-DNA from Central
                > Asia.
                >
                > This is respond;
                > I have approximate counts of the number who have reported these
                > as their country of origin. From Uzbekistan we have around 150,
                > Turkmenistan 0 (if there is another name this country is under
                > based on the ISO definitions, it would be listed under that
                > other name). From Kyrgyzstan we have 12 and Kazakhstan around
                > 50.
                >
                > E-mail any time,
                > Eileen Krause
                > Family Tree DNA
                > www.familytreedna.com
                >
                > I can underline that this is really nothing and absolutely no
                > conclusive example, in comparison that in Uzbekistan lives over
                > 22.000.000 people, in Turkmenistan over 5.000.000, in Kazakhstan
                > over 15.000.000 and in Kyrgyzstan over 5.000.000 people.
                >
                > But, if we know that percentage of Q in Uzbekistan and
                > Turkmenistan is between 10-14% of total population, that is
                > largest number of Q's outside Americas /in quick calculation
                > around 10-11 million Q's/.
                >
                > My Haplogroup Q chart shows 2 matches from Uzbekistan, and one
                > from Siberia.
                > All 3 are clasified as Q1.
                > There is also one other distant haplotype match /-4/ from
                > Bukhara, as Ysearch base shows.
                >

                > Alfred

                ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ----------------------
                Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
                Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
                http://shopping.tportal.hr
              • Michael Palmer
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5 4:45 PM
                  In 1930 my father's father lived in Middletown, CT with his wife, five sons & a daughter. He and his brothers were running a clothing business.
                  My grandfather & his sibling came to the US in the early 1900s from Amdur (Indura), Russia which is now in Belarus.  We have not yet been able to trace back any further.
                  Michael Palmer
                  On Jul 1, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Rebekah Canada wrote:

                  Hi,

                  To start things could everyone list where their Q was living in 1930?
                  Who lived with them? What did they do for a living?

                  --
                  Peace and Light,
                  Rebekah

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5 4:56 PM
                    My Q was working as a farm hand on his future father-in-law's farm
                    outside of Gayville South Dakota. In 1930, he was the only one, his
                    father died in 1907, he had no brothers, he had four sisters and
                    several half and step siblings.

                    --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Rebekah Canada"