Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Khazar yDNA Makeup - A Great Project Thate Needs to be Done

  • Barryzwick@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008
      Thanks so much for all your research, Dave, not only on this but on other DNA questions.
      There is a conflict between Alfred's insistence that Khazars were Mongolian and your own personal description. I suspect that red hair and light-colored eyes are rare among Mongolians. You can't both be right.
      As to whether the Khazars "merged" with the Magyars, I have never read that it was anything quite that concrete. The Khazars indeed left some traces in Hungary. Whether this was a mass movement is quite another matter. Since so many of the Khazars were Muslim, how could it come to be that Judaism survived among the Khazarian transplants, but Islam did not?
      Since the Khazars did not chronicle what became of themselves, we can only guess. They diverged strongly from the people among whom they lived, who kept track of every ruler, every harvest and every battle. The Khazars had no written language. This alone would have made their survival as Jews close to miraculous. They could have left records in Hebrew, true, but we have no evidence that they did.
      I'm afraid I remain a skeptic.
      I'm following this discussion with a great deal of interest. We are lucky that so many well-informed people share our genetic heritage.
      Barry Zwick in Los Angeles
      In a message dated 6/18/2008 11:29:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, dshoward@... writes:

      I have searched and searched and as far as I can find there is no
      study that attempts to define the yDNA makeup of the Khazarians.

      I have found several references that say this would be an excellent
      future project.

      Additionally, when Khazar crumbled as a nation it merged with the
      Maygars and many of those people are in Hungary today. Many Hungarian
      Jewish people are modern descendants of those Khazars. There are still
      place names and Khazarian words in place in those areas.

      Khazarian apparently were like the inhabitants of the Caucasus
      mountains area, i.e. stocky build, light skin, red hair and light
      colored eyes.

      Forgetting about Haplogroup Q, I know many Ashkenazi Jewish people who
      have that build, skin, hair and eye color. In fact, that is what I
      look like.

    • KRUPA
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2008

        I am red, particulary in beard.

        Khazars used Turkic Runes, and later Hebrew.