Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Sindhi and Hazara

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
      Yes. There are many different types of Q in Anatolia. I think that
      Dave placed a paper about Anatolia in the files.

      ..

      --
      Peace and Light,
      Rebekah
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008

        Rebekah,

         When one looks at the detailed numbers, “if they are available in depth”, do they point to the central Asia/Siberian regions in reverse mutations? Or are we simply using higher % of population & calling it founder/origin.

         My continual question is did Q survive in these remote areas because they missed invasions & disease? When one looks at Q in the Americas it was surly prolific until the introduction of European disease & war. When one considers the 100% Q in the Americas & the +/- 4% in the rest of the “tested” world, one has to consider democide in corruption of analysis.

        http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

         The Mr. Lee DNA of Scandinavia is the only ancient Q DNA I see in Y-Search; the rest is a 400 – 600 year separation to my numbers. With Q & R starting about the same time, one has to consider why Q is a lesser %.

        Bob the generalist.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
          Alfred,

          You said:

          > How many C we can find in Turkey?
          > Do we have Q in Turkey? Perhaps in Anatolia?

          the answer is in Cinnioglu: Excavating Y-chromosome haplotype strata
          in Anatolia. On a total of 523 samples there are:

          C*-M216 2 samples
          C3-M217 5 samples
          N*-M233 15 samples
          N3a-M178 5 samples
          O3-M122 1 sample
          Q*-M242 9 samples
          Q2-MM25 1 sample

          The 9 samples with Q*-M242 exhibit a high haplotype diversity: 1
          sample (number 338) is identical to "our" Q, other 3 are almost equal
          to us, other 5 (6 including the Q2-M25) are quite far from us. Again
          what is interesting in Turkey is the presence of:
          - high haplotype diversity of the Q's;
          - some presence of haplogroups from East and North Asia: 20 N (M233
          and M178) the double of Q*; 7 C (M216 and M217) almost the same
          numbers of Q, 1 O of difficult interpretation.

          Alessandro.

          --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, KRUPA <mladen.krupa@...> wrote:

          > Rebekah,
          >
          > You said;
          > "We know C/C3 to be mostly of the peoples from China. In papers
          > about China it is common. It is far then to say that maybe the
          > Hazara got their C from the Mongol hoards. I agree that any
          > group that traces their ancestry to Mongolia in the last 5,000
          > years should have some C."
          >
          > Questions;
          > 1. You think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara got
          > their C from the Mongol hoards.
          > That if fine with me.
          > But You don't think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara
          > got their Q from the Mongol hoards, as well?
          > Or You do?
          >
          > 2. You agree that any group that traces their ancestry to
          > Mongolia in the last 5,000 years should have some C.
          > How many C we can find in Turkey?
          > Turkic peoples definitely trace origin in Mongolia in last 1500
          > years. Historic fact.
          > Do we have Q in Turkey? Perhaps in Anatolia?
          >

          > Alfred
          > ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l
          ----------------------
          > Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
          > Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
          > http://shopping.tportal.hr

        • KRUPA
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
            Allesandro,

            Isn't it interesting?
            This diversity of the Asiatic haplogroups just confirms history
            of this people of Turkic stock, and historically recorded
            Central/North Asiatic origin.
            Khazars was also people of Turkic stock(first as part of GokTurk
            Khaganate and later as indenpendent state), but it really
            appears that only ruling class converted to Judaism.
            It should be noted (as we see) that it can be expected that
            current Turkey inherited more reacher heritage then Khazaria.
            Turkey is final stage of several earlier Turkic empires,
            therefore this more richer genetic legacy in modern Turkey.
            Modern Turkey is also based on territory of earlier Eastern
            Roman Empire (Byzantinum).
            Khazaria was stable state with organised religion, law system and
            military force, while those kingdoms emerged and collapsed.
            Ashina was first and founding Dynasty of Turks, remained in
            Khazaria.
            Other Dynasties followed.

            Alfred

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008

              Alfred,
              You are classified as Q1b.  We are Q1.  How did you get the b?  How is that different?  I'm just going for an upgrade from 25 to 37 markers now and am curious.  My grandfather was from "Russia", born about 1872, and was Jewish.
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                Alfred,

                what I see it is exactly the contrary:

                - as you write, all the time we have a well documented gene influx
                from Central and Northern Asia and Mongolia, like the Turkish invasion
                of Anatolia (but the same is true for the Former Sovietic Central
                Asias republics, for the Kalmyks in the Caucasus, for the Hazaras, and
                so on), we have also at least one fraction of the wealth of
                haplogroups you can find in those geographical area, not only one. And
                in the Ashkenazi people this wealthness of asiatic haplogroup doesn't
                exist.
                - to affirm that ONLY the Khazarian ruling class, and ALL the
                Khazarian ruling class, converted to Judaism, maybe it is true, even
                if these two are two strongly demanding and tight conditions, put
                together. But to affirm also that the ruling class was only Q, and
                that all the Q were in the ruling class (and that the others than the
                rulers were all different than Q), is far from any, proven historical
                fact: for what it is known about archaelogy, history and genetic, in
                the history we never had such a genetic "purity", not even at the dawn
                of the humanity. And the habits of the nomadic people of the steppe,
                that were always genetically mixed (as demonstrated by the genetic
                evidence, even of the tested human remains in ancient burials), and
                where the strongest was the ruler (and the strongest may belong to any
                haplogroup, he has simply to be the strongest), offer no support to
                this "genetic purity". The evidence from other Turkic-Mongolic people
                for sure does not support this "genetic purity" of any class, rulers
                or commoners, among them.

              • Alessandro Biondo
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                  Alfred,

                  no needs to use capital letters or dry words. If something is
                  misunderstood, it happen sometimes, we need only to explain again our
                  thought, in the interest of the group.
                  I understand very well your thought, but it is also true that all the
                  data we actually know about every population with a proven Turkic-
                  Mongolic genetic influence (for example Turkish, central asian Turks,
                  Kalmyks, Hazaras, but also centuries old mummies from Central and
                  North Asia) are talking us of a bunch of haplogroups not present
                  today in the Ashkenazi and European gene-pool. This is exactly what
                  the known data told us. That's exactly what I tried to comment.

                • KRUPA
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                    Rebekah,

                    How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                    And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                      Hi,

                      That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend Alessandro
                      has tested positive. He is from Sicily. Once more people at FTDNA test
                      we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in Europe
                      but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.

                      Rebekah

                      2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr>:
                      > Rebekah,
                      >
                      > How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                      > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                      >
                      > Alfred
                    • Bob Vick
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008

                        Rebekah,

                         My cousin James Larry Vick tested Q1b, I think at M378 so all American Vicks will be Q1b.

                         Are you saying Alessandro is Q1b, and that is the only one in this group tested?

                         If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board. I still see a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a later day migration to escape the plagues of Europe . The genetic gap in Mr Lee’s Q in Sweden & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call him the Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches show the same genetic distance to Norway & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee. As you know us Vick’s have an odd selection of markers with no near matches except our family group.

                        Bob

                        That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend Alessandro
                        has tested positive. He is from Sicily . Once more people at FTDNA test
                        we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in Europe
                        but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.

                        Rebekah

                        2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ ka.t-com. hr>:

                        > Rebekah,
                        >
                        > How many Q1b we can find in Europe ?
                        > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                        >
                        > Alfred

                      • Alessandro Biondo
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                          Bob

                          I am a reader of DNA Forums and of RootsWeb GENEALOGY DNA, so I
                          already knew of James Larry Vick and of his results, because he was
                          so helpful to publish here his result (I hope he is the same person).
                          I know that now he decided also to test with 23andme and to share his
                          Y-DNA result with the community of the genetic genealogist allowing
                          Ann Turner to publish his result in her excel file: maybe compare the
                          23andme result of a Q with our distant cousins R1 will be useful to
                          better ubderstand what are the mutations shared between Q and R1 and
                          what mutations are Q specific. What it is also interesting is that I
                          see some Vick on the Q project web site administred by Rebekah, and
                          all they are in the group 1 of the classification of Rebekah: so
                          maybe Q1b-M378 is not specific to one group, but is shared among
                          different groups (for group here I mean the group based on the
                          Rebekah classification, not ethnical or geographical groups). If this
                          is true, in M378 we have a quite ancient SNP (more than 2000 years),
                          not useful to fix our more recent roots, but useful only to see a
                          route of our ancestors. In effect from all the data I get about Q in
                          Scandinavia (the Karlsonn paper's Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden,
                          the data on yhrd, the data of the Scandinavian DNA project of FTDNA
                          (administred by Rebekah) I see that the typical haplotype is far from
                          mine of 2000-3000 years: much less than others Q, but not so recent
                          as the common ancestor of just the group 3. Obviously these are
                          thoughts that can be confirmed or totally rejected when
                          representatives of the different type of Q (based on the haplotype,
                          the STRs) will have their deep clade test. I hope many Qs of the
                          different type will accept to have this deep clade test because it
                          will be the first step toward a better understaing of our
                          similarities and difference.

                          Alessandro.

                          Q@yahoogroups.com] On
                          > Behalf Of Rebekah Canada
                          > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:23 AM
                          > To: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Sindhi and Hazara
                          >

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend
                          Alessandro
                          > has tested positive. He is from Sicily. Once more people at FTDNA
                          test
                          > we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in
                          Europe
                          > but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.
                          >
                          > Rebekah
                          >
                          > 2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ <mailto:mladen.krupa%40ka.t-com.hr>
                          > ka.t-com.hr>:
                          > > Rebekah,
                          > >
                          > > How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                          > > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                          > >
                          > > Alfred

                        • Alessandro Biondo
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                            Just to add that if the Q1b-M378 is shared between the groups 1 and 3
                            of the Rebekah classification, maybe we found the western SNP of Q,
                            because all the other SNP are only in Central and East Asia (and
                            America). Maybe this fact has some relevance. But these are pure
                            speculations if we don't have many Qs with their deep clade test:
                            it's only a thought that was born when I observed that two person
                            tested positive to M378 have different haplotype.

                            Alessandro.

                            --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Alessandro Biondo"
                            <alefbiondo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > group
                            > > tested?
                            > >

                            > > If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board.
                            > still see
                            > > a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a
                            later
                            > day
                            > > migration to escape the plagues of Europe. The genetic gap in Mr
                            > Lee's Q in
                            > > Sweden & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call
                            > him the
                            > > Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches
                            show
                            > the same
                            > > genetic distance to Norway & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee.
                            As
                            > you know
                            > > us Vick's have an odd selection of markers with no near matches

                          • Bob Vick
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008

                              Alessandro,

                               Yes it is the same James Larry Vick; I will meet him tomorrow with another 100 Vick’s at a family reunion. It will be an interesting journey into the effects of Mt & Y mixes in appearances of Q1b Vicks.

                               Our line came to America in 1650 by Joseph Vick. We match none of the English or German Vick’s tested so far. We do show some near matches on 6 markers in Norway , however prior to 1650 many Europeans escaped north to avoid plagues & religious persecution. In my research it seems the genetic connections have a gap in genetic distance from 400 – 600 years back to the 2000 years back you mentioned.

                               There are a few of us Vick’s that “feel” a Jewish connection; the science does not point there yet. But we know that many early American immigrants just simulated into the culture, societies & religions around them. There are a group of early American immigrants that all have that Q1b, yet show no close Vick connection. That fact makes me believe they all followed a long similar migration pattern, maybe from the same roots as the Ashkenazi Q.

                               I like your idea on western Q1b; it makes more sense than walking the Siberian ice. Yet I cannot ignore the similarities in horse DNA from Siberia & the Norwegian horses. Maybe there were two migrations of Q, one from the east & one from the south & we know the American Indian Q’s migrated yet another way. I do not know if you have read about similar American Indian & Jewish customs recorded in early America . Some appear to be hoaxes, yet some seem to have some validity. I don’t think anyone ever figured out the 10 Commandments written in ancient Hebrew found in the American West.

                               http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/loslunas.html

                               http://www.hope-of-israel.org/hebinusa.htm

                              Cheers, Bob Vick

                              <alefbiondo@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > tested?
                              > >

                              > > If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board.
                              > still see
                              > > a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a
                              later
                              > day
                              > > migration to escape the plagues of Europe .
                              The genetic gap in Mr
                              > Lee's Q in
                              > > Sweden
                              & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call
                              > him the
                              > > Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches
                              show
                              > the same
                              > > genetic distance to Norway
                              & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee.
                              As
                              > you know
                              > > us Vick's have an odd selection of markers with no near matches

                              w:st="on">Sicily . Once more people at FTDNA
                              > test
                              > > we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in
                              > Europe
                              > > but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.
                              > >
                              > > Rebekah
                              > >
                              > > 2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ <mailto:mladen. krupa%40ka. t-com.hr>
                              > > ka.t-com.hr> :
                              > > > Rebekah,
                              > > >
                              > > > How many Q1b we can find in Europe ?
                              > > > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                              > > >
                              > > > Alfred

                            • Alessandro Biondo
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                Bob,

                                excuse me, about the 2000-3000 years I was not enough clear: when I
                                talk about 2000-3000 years I mean my TMRCA from the typical Swedish Q
                                haplotype, as found in the Scandianavian Y project administred by
                                Rebekah, and in the Q groups 1 and 2 of the Q project, and in the Q
                                YDNA found in the Karlsson paper's: Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden.
                                All the haplotypes I found in these works, if analyzed through the
                                mymcgee web site, give me an estimate of 2000-3000 years for the
                                common ancestor between me (I am in the group 3 of Rebekah) and the
                                modal of each of these groups: the years differs according the values
                                I used for the mutation rate and for the years/generations. As for
                                reference, using the same values, when I compare myself to the modal
                                of the group 3 (my group), I have an estimate of 600-1000 years from
                                the modal.

                                I hope this can help.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                  Alessandro,

                                  How many markers are you using with the mymcgee web site?

                                • Alessandro Biondo
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                    Rebekah,

                                    for the 2 ftdna project you lead, I used all the markers available for
                                    all the members (very easy task to download them in excel, and from
                                    here upload to mymcgee), for the Karlsson paper the 9 STR published are:
                                    DYS393 DYS390 DYS19 DYS391 DYS385a DYS385b DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II.

                                    In the mymcgee I used both the Ftdna and the McDonald as Mutation
                                    rate, and I used 25 years as years/generation.

                                    I compared myself to the modal of other groups, but I did not make
                                    comparisons between the groups.

                                    Regards.

                                    --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Rebekah Canada"

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                      Alessandro,

                                      Yes, I have used mymcgee.:-) I ask because I believe that the 9 and 12
                                      marker sets underestimate the common ancestor calculation. For group
                                      3/4 things may be very off as often only those who have exact matches
                                      upgrade to more markers. So it is "close' cousins who are testing and
                                      shifting the results.

                                    • Alessandro Biondo
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                        Rebekah,

                                        I agree with you that mymcgee it is not a perfect tool, and moreover
                                        that a big problem we face it is the quantity and quality of the
                                        statistical samples, both for the number of markers tested and for
                                        the number of samples (that it is the most important factor to impact
                                        on the way the modal is build). I also observed that if I use few
                                        markers I am less distant than if I use more markers. For these
                                        reasons I give no absolute value to the number of years I can estimate
                                        with it: anway it can give us some useful indications, even if it is
                                        important to clarify that it is necessary to use these results with
                                        caution, without losing the general frame and the question of the
                                        quality and quantity of the samples to be compare.

                                        A more complete result from my research (with Ftdna as mutation rate,
                                        and 25 years as years/generation)comparing the individual samples is:
                                        Scandinavian Q_YDNA: from 1475 to 2450 years, the 6 67 marker samples
                                        are at 1725/2250 years
                                        Group 1: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 8 67 marker samples are at
                                        2075-2450 years
                                        Group 2: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 7 67 markers are at 1725-2075 years

                                        It is only an example, and I repeat, no absolute meaning to these
                                        data, but maybe, as I hope, some useful information. With all the
                                        comparision we can do, and with all the needed cautions, maybe if I
                                        think of a distance from me and the members of Swedish-group1-group2
                                        members a bit more than double (a bit less than triple) than the
                                        distance that divide me from the other members of the group 3 (for
                                        which a TMRCA of approx 1000 years seems to be prevaling), I am
                                        thinking a not so unlikely fact.
                                        For sure it will be a much more interesting thing to discover if
                                        really we (the group 1/2 and 3/4) share the same M378 mutation of the
                                        Swedish-group1-group2 group, and this mutation maybe split all of us
                                        from the prevaling Asian subclades. But this is only a hazardous and
                                        untimely suggestion until many Q of different branches will have their
                                        deep clade test done.

                                        Regards.

                                        Alessandro.

                                        <rebekahthorn@...> wrote:

                                        > Alessandro,
                                        >
                                        > Yes, I have used mymcgee.:-) I ask because I believe that the 9 and 12
                                        > marker sets underestimate the common ancestor calculation. For group
                                        > 3/4 things may be very off as often only those who have exact matches
                                        > upgrade to more markers. So it is "close' cousins who are testing and
                                        > shifting the results.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Rebekah

                                      • Alessandro Biondo
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                          Rebekah and all,

                                          excuse me: when I was reading my previous post I observed a possible
                                          source of misunderstanding. Concerning the following:

                                          >Scandinavian Q_YDNA: from 1475 to 2450 years, the 6 67 marker samples
                                          >are at 1725/2250 years
                                          >Group 1: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 8 67 marker samples are at
                                          >2075-2450 years
                                          >Group 2: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 7 67 markers are at 1725-2075
                                          >years

                                          All the years I talked are the distance from me of these
                                          samples-groups, not the TMRCA of the group.

                                          Excuse me again if I was not so clear.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                            Alessandro,

                                            If you want to get more complicated... Try putting in the modal for
                                            the Dimond family and one for each of the Sizemore families.

                                            Try it first for those six marker that the old papers used, then for
                                            12, then for 25, and 37, and finally 67.

                                          • Alessandro Biondo
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                              Rebekah,

                                              what I see if I play this strange game is that in this case the more
                                              are the marker, the closer are the samples in term of TMRCA, even if
                                              they belong to different haplogroups.
                                              I think that in general, clustering a group of sample can results in
                                              some dubious cases anytime we face with not pure or not
                                              straightforward sample.
                                              Anyway we need to rely on the tools we have, it is only important to
                                              know the weak point of every tool as well the strong points, and to
                                              extract from every tool only what they can.

                                              Regards.

                                              Alessandro.