Re: Sindhi and Hazara

  • Alessandro Felice Biondo
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
      Alfred,

      I think that if you define Ashkenazi Q as of "mongolian" origin, we
      need also to explain why other mongolic haplogroups (notably the
      typical mongolian C/C3, that is well represented in the Hazata people
      and in other central asian populations) are not present in today's
      Ashkenazi gene pool; moreover in general in Europe we lack totally the
      C/C3 haplogroup, but we have Q ("our" Q). For example in Europe we
      have populations with a proved gene influx from Central-East Asia and
      in particular from Siberia (the Finns and the Magyars), and these
      populations have the mark of their origin in the Y chromosome that
      show the N haplogroup. Maybe it is significant that we have no
      Remarkable presence of Q ("our" Q) in these european population
      (excluding Hungarian Ashkenazi, as showed by Dr. Behar in his papers),
      even if in Siberia N and Q are living side by side.

      Alessandro.

      <http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/2008-HaploChart_GR_lores.pdf>names
      > > after the percentages. If we are going to call Q1b Mongol because it
      > > is found in the Hazara then we would have to say the same thing of
      all these
      > > other Haplogroups.
      > >
      > > The Hazara are:
      > > n=22
      > > C3 (M217) 10 45.45% C3
      > > R1b2b (M073) 6 27.27% R1b1b1
      > > Q1 (M120) 1 4.55% Q1a1
      > > Q1a (M378) 1 4.55% Q1b
      > > I1c2 (M170\223\379) 1 4.55% I2b2
      > > J2a (M410) 1 4.55% J2a
      > > O3 (M122) 2 9.09% O3
      > >
      > > The Sindhi are:
      > > n= 21
      > > J1 (M267) 1 4.76% J1
      > > J2a (M410) 4 19.05% J2a
      > > J2b2 (M241) 2 9.52% J2b2
      > > L3 (M357) 1 4.76% L3
      > > Q1a (M378) 1 4.76% Q1b
      > > R1a1 (M017) 11 52.38% R1a1
      > > R2 (M124) 1 4.76% R2
      > >
      > > With the exceptions of having L3, with a noticeably low level of
      J1, and an

      ----------------------
      > Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
      > Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
      > http://shopping.tportal.hr

    • KRUPA
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
        Allesandro,

        Simple is that to explain if we know history of Khazars.
        They were part of early Turkic tribes who lived separately from
        others /Hungars and Finnish are completely different story,
        geneticaly and historicaly/, but under Chinese domination in
        first half of 1st millenium.

        In particular that confirms reports of Ashina Clan as people
        ,some sub-tribe, who emerged on south side of Altay (we know
        even microlocation-today it falls in borders of Turkestan of
        China). As considered to be sacred and semi-divine, special
        heavenly mandated caste, they didn't mixed too much with others
        /today in Mongolia we have 4% of Q/.

        When I say others- in first place I have in mind Chinese
        population and Mongolians (as we know them today). They are main
        carriers of C and O.
        Later history proves Mongols as deadly enemies of Khazars.

        Ashina moved to Khazaria in mid 7th century, trough the Silk
        Road.
        In Uzbekistan in Turkmenistan /Silk Road route/ we have
        relatively largest number of individuals with Q mutation /up to
        15% of total population/.

        And again, statues and wall drawings, of Ashina (rulers of
        Khazars and Gokturks earlier) shows only Mongolic features.

        We are the only haplogroup within Mongolic race founded in
        Ashkenazi (with possible origin in Khazaria).

        It will be much complicated that we have C and O in Ashkenazi
        genetic pool.
        But there is not any.

        So in that time they was Chinese, Mongolians and Turks /with
        manly "White"-European characteristics ,and Mongolic-Oriental in
        smaller percentage/..
        Different cultures.

        Hazara people and Khazars (particulary Ashina) are not the same
        people.
        Different history, different religious and cultural paths,
        different circumstances, but most probably similar original
        location and at least part of time schedule.

        Alfred

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
          Allesandro,

          A full beauty lies in a fact there in Europe there is no other
          haplogroups of North Asiatic-Mongolic type (in fact there is
          some, but in too small percentage to conclude anything), except
          us (+some other small pockets)!

          Khazars was acknowledged of people of Turko-Mongolic stock.

          Rulers of Khazars was of Mongolic type.

          We didn't explain all as You want to point. That is a fact, but
          we have good direction where to look for final answer!

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
            Alessandro,

            It is true that C/C3 and N are not found in ether Ashkenazic or
            Sephardic populations. C is sometimes found in very low frequencies in
            non-Jewish European populations. It is maybe a fraction of a percent.
            N is found in the Scandinavian region and also in much lower amounts
            in the rest of Europe. Here is a map from ySearch.
            http://www.ysearch.org/haplomap_europe.asp?haplo=,N

            We know C/C3 to be mostly of the peoples from China. In papers about
            China it is common. It is far then to say that maybe the Hazara got
            their C from the Mongol hoards. I agree that any group that traces
            their ancestry to Mongolia in the last 5,000 years should have some C.

            All of the other Haplogroups can be found though in the Balkans and
            the Levant. These make think of Macedonia and the Great Alexander. :-)

            Now I have a question that perhaps someone in the group can answer.
            When the Russians "evacuated" the Jewish populations from Latvia c.
            1915, where were they sent?

            Rebekah
          • KRUPA
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
              Rebekah,

              You said;
              "We know C/C3 to be mostly of the peoples from China. In papers
              about China it is common. It is far then to say that maybe the
              Hazara got their C from the Mongol hoards. I agree that any
              group that traces their ancestry to Mongolia in the last 5,000
              years should have some C."

              Questions;
              1. You think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara got
              their C from the Mongol hoards.
              That if fine with me.
              But You don't think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara
              got their Q from the Mongol hoards, as well?
              Or You do?

              2. You agree that any group that traces their ancestry to
              Mongolia in the last 5,000 years should have some C.
              How many C we can find in Turkey?
              Turkic peoples definitely trace origin in Mongolia in last 1500
              years. Historic fact.
              Do we have Q in Turkey? Perhaps in Anatolia?

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                Yes. There are many different types of Q in Anatolia. I think that
                Dave placed a paper about Anatolia in the files.

                ..

                --
                Peace and Light,
                Rebekah
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008

                  Rebekah,

                   When one looks at the detailed numbers, “if they are available in depth”, do they point to the central Asia/Siberian regions in reverse mutations? Or are we simply using higher % of population & calling it founder/origin.

                   My continual question is did Q survive in these remote areas because they missed invasions & disease? When one looks at Q in the Americas it was surly prolific until the introduction of European disease & war. When one considers the 100% Q in the Americas & the +/- 4% in the rest of the “tested” world, one has to consider democide in corruption of analysis.

                  http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

                   The Mr. Lee DNA of Scandinavia is the only ancient Q DNA I see in Y-Search; the rest is a 400 – 600 year separation to my numbers. With Q & R starting about the same time, one has to consider why Q is a lesser %.

                  Bob the generalist.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                    Alfred,

                    You said:

                    > How many C we can find in Turkey?
                    > Do we have Q in Turkey? Perhaps in Anatolia?

                    the answer is in Cinnioglu: Excavating Y-chromosome haplotype strata
                    in Anatolia. On a total of 523 samples there are:

                    C*-M216 2 samples
                    C3-M217 5 samples
                    N*-M233 15 samples
                    N3a-M178 5 samples
                    O3-M122 1 sample
                    Q*-M242 9 samples
                    Q2-MM25 1 sample

                    The 9 samples with Q*-M242 exhibit a high haplotype diversity: 1
                    sample (number 338) is identical to "our" Q, other 3 are almost equal
                    to us, other 5 (6 including the Q2-M25) are quite far from us. Again
                    what is interesting in Turkey is the presence of:
                    - high haplotype diversity of the Q's;
                    - some presence of haplogroups from East and North Asia: 20 N (M233
                    and M178) the double of Q*; 7 C (M216 and M217) almost the same
                    numbers of Q, 1 O of difficult interpretation.

                    Alessandro.

                    --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, KRUPA <mladen.krupa@...> wrote:

                    > Rebekah,
                    >
                    > You said;
                    > "We know C/C3 to be mostly of the peoples from China. In papers
                    > about China it is common. It is far then to say that maybe the
                    > Hazara got their C from the Mongol hoards. I agree that any
                    > group that traces their ancestry to Mongolia in the last 5,000
                    > years should have some C."
                    >
                    > Questions;
                    > 1. You think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara got
                    > their C from the Mongol hoards.
                    > That if fine with me.
                    > But You don't think that it is far then to say that maybe Hazara
                    > got their Q from the Mongol hoards, as well?
                    > Or You do?
                    >
                    > 2. You agree that any group that traces their ancestry to
                    > Mongolia in the last 5,000 years should have some C.
                    > How many C we can find in Turkey?
                    > Turkic peoples definitely trace origin in Mongolia in last 1500
                    > years. Historic fact.
                    > Do we have Q in Turkey? Perhaps in Anatolia?
                    >

                    > Alfred
                    > ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l
                    ----------------------
                    > Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
                    > Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
                    > http://shopping.tportal.hr

                  • KRUPA
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                      Allesandro,

                      Isn't it interesting?
                      This diversity of the Asiatic haplogroups just confirms history
                      of this people of Turkic stock, and historically recorded
                      Central/North Asiatic origin.
                      Khazars was also people of Turkic stock(first as part of GokTurk
                      Khaganate and later as indenpendent state), but it really
                      appears that only ruling class converted to Judaism.
                      It should be noted (as we see) that it can be expected that
                      current Turkey inherited more reacher heritage then Khazaria.
                      Turkey is final stage of several earlier Turkic empires,
                      therefore this more richer genetic legacy in modern Turkey.
                      Modern Turkey is also based on territory of earlier Eastern
                      Roman Empire (Byzantinum).
                      Khazaria was stable state with organised religion, law system and
                      military force, while those kingdoms emerged and collapsed.
                      Ashina was first and founding Dynasty of Turks, remained in
                      Khazaria.
                      Other Dynasties followed.

                      Alfred

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008

                        Alfred,
                        You are classified as Q1b.  We are Q1.  How did you get the b?  How is that different?  I'm just going for an upgrade from 25 to 37 markers now and am curious.  My grandfather was from "Russia", born about 1872, and was Jewish.

                        Citiram Rebekah Canada <rebekahthorn@ gmail.com>:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > The Sindhi and Hazara samples come from Sengupta 2006. I have placed the new
                        > YCC 2008 <http://www.familytr eedna.com/ pdf/2008- HaploChart_ GR_lores. pdf>names
                        > after the percentages. If we are going to call Q1b Mongol because it
                        > is found in the Hazara then we would have to say the same thing of all these
                        > other Haplogroups.
                        >
                        > The Hazara are:
                        > n=22
                        > C3 (M217) 10 45.45% C3
                        > R1b2b (M073) 6 27.27% R1b1b1
                        > Q1 (M120) 1 4.55% Q1a1
                        > Q1a (M378) 1 4.55% Q1b
                        > I1c2 (M170\223\379) 1 4.55% I2b2
                        > J2a (M410) 1 4.55% J2a
                        > O3 (M122) 2 9.09% O3
                        >
                        > The Sindhi are:
                        > n= 21
                        > J1 (M267) 1 4.76% J1
                        > J2a (M410) 4 19.05% J2a
                        > J2b2 (M241) 2 9.52% J2b2
                        > L3 (M357) 1 4.76% L3
                        > Q1a (M378) 1 4.76% Q1b
                        > R1a1 (M017) 11 52.38% R1a1
                        > R2 (M124) 1 4.76% R2
                        >
                        > With the exceptions of having L3, with a noticeably low level of J1, and an
                        > absence of R1b the Sindhi do resemble the Haplogroups of an Ashkenazic
                        > group. I will have to compare haplotypes. Perhaps this is flow along the
                        > silk road.
                        >
                        > Sadly, with this small sample, we can not make diversity comparisons.
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > Rebekah

                        ------------ --------- - T - C o m - - W e b m a i l ------------ --------- -
                        Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
                        Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!
                        http://shopping. tportal.hr

                      • Alessandro Biondo
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                          Alfred,

                          what I see it is exactly the contrary:

                          - as you write, all the time we have a well documented gene influx
                          from Central and Northern Asia and Mongolia, like the Turkish invasion
                          of Anatolia (but the same is true for the Former Sovietic Central
                          Asias republics, for the Kalmyks in the Caucasus, for the Hazaras, and
                          so on), we have also at least one fraction of the wealth of
                          haplogroups you can find in those geographical area, not only one. And
                          in the Ashkenazi people this wealthness of asiatic haplogroup doesn't
                          exist.
                          - to affirm that ONLY the Khazarian ruling class, and ALL the
                          Khazarian ruling class, converted to Judaism, maybe it is true, even
                          if these two are two strongly demanding and tight conditions, put
                          together. But to affirm also that the ruling class was only Q, and
                          that all the Q were in the ruling class (and that the others than the
                          rulers were all different than Q), is far from any, proven historical
                          fact: for what it is known about archaelogy, history and genetic, in
                          the history we never had such a genetic "purity", not even at the dawn
                          of the humanity. And the habits of the nomadic people of the steppe,
                          that were always genetically mixed (as demonstrated by the genetic
                          evidence, even of the tested human remains in ancient burials), and
                          where the strongest was the ruler (and the strongest may belong to any
                          haplogroup, he has simply to be the strongest), offer no support to
                          this "genetic purity". The evidence from other Turkic-Mongolic people
                          for sure does not support this "genetic purity" of any class, rulers
                          or commoners, among them.

                        • Alessandro Biondo
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 18, 2008
                            Alfred,

                            no needs to use capital letters or dry words. If something is
                            misunderstood, it happen sometimes, we need only to explain again our
                            thought, in the interest of the group.
                            I understand very well your thought, but it is also true that all the
                            data we actually know about every population with a proven Turkic-
                            Mongolic genetic influence (for example Turkish, central asian Turks,
                            Kalmyks, Hazaras, but also centuries old mummies from Central and
                            North Asia) are talking us of a bunch of haplogroups not present
                            today in the Ashkenazi and European gene-pool. This is exactly what
                            the known data told us. That's exactly what I tried to comment.

                          • KRUPA
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                              Rebekah,

                              How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                              And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                                Hi,

                                That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend Alessandro
                                has tested positive. He is from Sicily. Once more people at FTDNA test
                                we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in Europe
                                but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.

                                Rebekah

                                2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr>:
                                > Rebekah,
                                >
                                > How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                                > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                                >
                                > Alfred
                              • Bob Vick
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008

                                  Rebekah,

                                   My cousin James Larry Vick tested Q1b, I think at M378 so all American Vicks will be Q1b.

                                   Are you saying Alessandro is Q1b, and that is the only one in this group tested?

                                   If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board. I still see a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a later day migration to escape the plagues of Europe . The genetic gap in Mr Lee’s Q in Sweden & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call him the Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches show the same genetic distance to Norway & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee. As you know us Vick’s have an odd selection of markers with no near matches except our family group.

                                  Bob

                                  That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend Alessandro
                                  has tested positive. He is from Sicily . Once more people at FTDNA test
                                  we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in Europe
                                  but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.

                                  Rebekah

                                  2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ ka.t-com. hr>:

                                  > Rebekah,
                                  >
                                  > How many Q1b we can find in Europe ?
                                  > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                                  >
                                  > Alfred

                                • Alessandro Biondo
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                                    Bob

                                    I am a reader of DNA Forums and of RootsWeb GENEALOGY DNA, so I
                                    already knew of James Larry Vick and of his results, because he was
                                    so helpful to publish here his result (I hope he is the same person).
                                    I know that now he decided also to test with 23andme and to share his
                                    Y-DNA result with the community of the genetic genealogist allowing
                                    Ann Turner to publish his result in her excel file: maybe compare the
                                    23andme result of a Q with our distant cousins R1 will be useful to
                                    better ubderstand what are the mutations shared between Q and R1 and
                                    what mutations are Q specific. What it is also interesting is that I
                                    see some Vick on the Q project web site administred by Rebekah, and
                                    all they are in the group 1 of the classification of Rebekah: so
                                    maybe Q1b-M378 is not specific to one group, but is shared among
                                    different groups (for group here I mean the group based on the
                                    Rebekah classification, not ethnical or geographical groups). If this
                                    is true, in M378 we have a quite ancient SNP (more than 2000 years),
                                    not useful to fix our more recent roots, but useful only to see a
                                    route of our ancestors. In effect from all the data I get about Q in
                                    Scandinavia (the Karlsonn paper's Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden,
                                    the data on yhrd, the data of the Scandinavian DNA project of FTDNA
                                    (administred by Rebekah) I see that the typical haplotype is far from
                                    mine of 2000-3000 years: much less than others Q, but not so recent
                                    as the common ancestor of just the group 3. Obviously these are
                                    thoughts that can be confirmed or totally rejected when
                                    representatives of the different type of Q (based on the haplotype,
                                    the STRs) will have their deep clade test. I hope many Qs of the
                                    different type will accept to have this deep clade test because it
                                    will be the first step toward a better understaing of our
                                    similarities and difference.

                                    Alessandro.

                                    Q@yahoogroups.com] On
                                    > Behalf Of Rebekah Canada
                                    > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:23 AM
                                    > To: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Subject: Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Sindhi and Hazara
                                    >

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > That is the only study that has tested for M378. Our friend
                                    Alessandro
                                    > has tested positive. He is from Sicily. Once more people at FTDNA
                                    test
                                    > we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in
                                    Europe
                                    > but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.
                                    >
                                    > Rebekah
                                    >
                                    > 2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ <mailto:mladen.krupa%40ka.t-com.hr>
                                    > ka.t-com.hr>:
                                    > > Rebekah,
                                    > >
                                    > > How many Q1b we can find in Europe?
                                    > > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                                    > >
                                    > > Alfred

                                  • Alessandro Biondo
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008
                                      Just to add that if the Q1b-M378 is shared between the groups 1 and 3
                                      of the Rebekah classification, maybe we found the western SNP of Q,
                                      because all the other SNP are only in Central and East Asia (and
                                      America). Maybe this fact has some relevance. But these are pure
                                      speculations if we don't have many Qs with their deep clade test:
                                      it's only a thought that was born when I observed that two person
                                      tested positive to M378 have different haplotype.

                                      Alessandro.

                                      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Alessandro Biondo"
                                      <alefbiondo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > group
                                      > > tested?
                                      > >

                                      > > If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board.
                                      > still see
                                      > > a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a
                                      later
                                      > day
                                      > > migration to escape the plagues of Europe. The genetic gap in Mr
                                      > Lee's Q in
                                      > > Sweden & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call
                                      > him the
                                      > > Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches
                                      show
                                      > the same
                                      > > genetic distance to Norway & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee.
                                      As
                                      > you know
                                      > > us Vick's have an odd selection of markers with no near matches

                                    • Bob Vick
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 19, 2008

                                        Alessandro,

                                         Yes it is the same James Larry Vick; I will meet him tomorrow with another 100 Vick’s at a family reunion. It will be an interesting journey into the effects of Mt & Y mixes in appearances of Q1b Vicks.

                                         Our line came to America in 1650 by Joseph Vick. We match none of the English or German Vick’s tested so far. We do show some near matches on 6 markers in Norway , however prior to 1650 many Europeans escaped north to avoid plagues & religious persecution. In my research it seems the genetic connections have a gap in genetic distance from 400 – 600 years back to the 2000 years back you mentioned.

                                         There are a few of us Vick’s that “feel” a Jewish connection; the science does not point there yet. But we know that many early American immigrants just simulated into the culture, societies & religions around them. There are a group of early American immigrants that all have that Q1b, yet show no close Vick connection. That fact makes me believe they all followed a long similar migration pattern, maybe from the same roots as the Ashkenazi Q.

                                         I like your idea on western Q1b; it makes more sense than walking the Siberian ice. Yet I cannot ignore the similarities in horse DNA from Siberia & the Norwegian horses. Maybe there were two migrations of Q, one from the east & one from the south & we know the American Indian Q’s migrated yet another way. I do not know if you have read about similar American Indian & Jewish customs recorded in early America . Some appear to be hoaxes, yet some seem to have some validity. I don’t think anyone ever figured out the 10 Commandments written in ancient Hebrew found in the American West.

                                         http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/loslunas.html

                                         http://www.hope-of-israel.org/hebinusa.htm

                                        Cheers, Bob Vick

                                        <alefbiondo@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > tested?
                                        > >

                                        > > If you are wondering what a Viking Vick is doing on this board.
                                        > still see
                                        > > a gap in DNA data that does not exclude the possibility of a
                                        later
                                        > day
                                        > > migration to escape the plagues of Europe .
                                        The genetic gap in Mr
                                        > Lee's Q in
                                        > > Sweden
                                        & the rest of the Norse Q people is just too great to call
                                        > him the
                                        > > Siberian founder of all Norse source DNA. My Y search matches
                                        show
                                        > the same
                                        > > genetic distance to Norway
                                        & Lithuania matches & a 2k to Mr Lee.
                                        As
                                        > you know
                                        > > us Vick's have an odd selection of markers with no near matches

                                        w:st="on">Sicily . Once more people at FTDNA
                                        > test
                                        > > we be more sure of the STR marker values. There are other Qs in
                                        > Europe
                                        > > but I think that they will be branches of Q1a.
                                        > >
                                        > > Rebekah
                                        > >
                                        > > 2008/6/19 KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ <mailto:mladen. krupa%40ka. t-com.hr>
                                        > > ka.t-com.hr> :
                                        > > > Rebekah,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > How many Q1b we can find in Europe ?
                                        > > > And in other places (except Hazara and Sindhi)?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Alfred

                                      • Alessandro Biondo
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                          Bob,

                                          excuse me, about the 2000-3000 years I was not enough clear: when I
                                          talk about 2000-3000 years I mean my TMRCA from the typical Swedish Q
                                          haplotype, as found in the Scandianavian Y project administred by
                                          Rebekah, and in the Q groups 1 and 2 of the Q project, and in the Q
                                          YDNA found in the Karlsson paper's: Y-chromosome diversity in Sweden.
                                          All the haplotypes I found in these works, if analyzed through the
                                          mymcgee web site, give me an estimate of 2000-3000 years for the
                                          common ancestor between me (I am in the group 3 of Rebekah) and the
                                          modal of each of these groups: the years differs according the values
                                          I used for the mutation rate and for the years/generations. As for
                                          reference, using the same values, when I compare myself to the modal
                                          of the group 3 (my group), I have an estimate of 600-1000 years from
                                          the modal.

                                          I hope this can help.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                            Alessandro,

                                            How many markers are you using with the mymcgee web site?

                                          • Alessandro Biondo
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                              Rebekah,

                                              for the 2 ftdna project you lead, I used all the markers available for
                                              all the members (very easy task to download them in excel, and from
                                              here upload to mymcgee), for the Karlsson paper the 9 STR published are:
                                              DYS393 DYS390 DYS19 DYS391 DYS385a DYS385b DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II.

                                              In the mymcgee I used both the Ftdna and the McDonald as Mutation
                                              rate, and I used 25 years as years/generation.

                                              I compared myself to the modal of other groups, but I did not make
                                              comparisons between the groups.

                                              Regards.

                                              --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Rebekah Canada"

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                                Alessandro,

                                                Yes, I have used mymcgee.:-) I ask because I believe that the 9 and 12
                                                marker sets underestimate the common ancestor calculation. For group
                                                3/4 things may be very off as often only those who have exact matches
                                                upgrade to more markers. So it is "close' cousins who are testing and
                                                shifting the results.

                                              • Alessandro Biondo
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                                  Rebekah,

                                                  I agree with you that mymcgee it is not a perfect tool, and moreover
                                                  that a big problem we face it is the quantity and quality of the
                                                  statistical samples, both for the number of markers tested and for
                                                  the number of samples (that it is the most important factor to impact
                                                  on the way the modal is build). I also observed that if I use few
                                                  markers I am less distant than if I use more markers. For these
                                                  reasons I give no absolute value to the number of years I can estimate
                                                  with it: anway it can give us some useful indications, even if it is
                                                  important to clarify that it is necessary to use these results with
                                                  caution, without losing the general frame and the question of the
                                                  quality and quantity of the samples to be compare.

                                                  A more complete result from my research (with Ftdna as mutation rate,
                                                  and 25 years as years/generation)comparing the individual samples is:
                                                  Scandinavian Q_YDNA: from 1475 to 2450 years, the 6 67 marker samples
                                                  are at 1725/2250 years
                                                  Group 1: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 8 67 marker samples are at
                                                  2075-2450 years
                                                  Group 2: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 7 67 markers are at 1725-2075 years

                                                  It is only an example, and I repeat, no absolute meaning to these
                                                  data, but maybe, as I hope, some useful information. With all the
                                                  comparision we can do, and with all the needed cautions, maybe if I
                                                  think of a distance from me and the members of Swedish-group1-group2
                                                  members a bit more than double (a bit less than triple) than the
                                                  distance that divide me from the other members of the group 3 (for
                                                  which a TMRCA of approx 1000 years seems to be prevaling), I am
                                                  thinking a not so unlikely fact.
                                                  For sure it will be a much more interesting thing to discover if
                                                  really we (the group 1/2 and 3/4) share the same M378 mutation of the
                                                  Swedish-group1-group2 group, and this mutation maybe split all of us
                                                  from the prevaling Asian subclades. But this is only a hazardous and
                                                  untimely suggestion until many Q of different branches will have their
                                                  deep clade test done.

                                                  Regards.

                                                  Alessandro.

                                                  <rebekahthorn@...> wrote:

                                                  > Alessandro,
                                                  >
                                                  > Yes, I have used mymcgee.:-) I ask because I believe that the 9 and 12
                                                  > marker sets underestimate the common ancestor calculation. For group
                                                  > 3/4 things may be very off as often only those who have exact matches
                                                  > upgrade to more markers. So it is "close' cousins who are testing and
                                                  > shifting the results.
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards,
                                                  > Rebekah

                                                • Alessandro Biondo
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                                    Rebekah and all,

                                                    excuse me: when I was reading my previous post I observed a possible
                                                    source of misunderstanding. Concerning the following:

                                                    >Scandinavian Q_YDNA: from 1475 to 2450 years, the 6 67 marker samples
                                                    >are at 1725/2250 years
                                                    >Group 1: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 8 67 marker samples are at
                                                    >2075-2450 years
                                                    >Group 2: from 1475 to 3025 years, the 7 67 markers are at 1725-2075
                                                    >years

                                                    All the years I talked are the distance from me of these
                                                    samples-groups, not the TMRCA of the group.

                                                    Excuse me again if I was not so clear.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                                      Alessandro,

                                                      If you want to get more complicated... Try putting in the modal for
                                                      the Dimond family and one for each of the Sizemore families.

                                                      Try it first for those six marker that the old papers used, then for
                                                      12, then for 25, and 37, and finally 67.

                                                    • Alessandro Biondo
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 20, 2008
                                                        Rebekah,

                                                        what I see if I play this strange game is that in this case the more
                                                        are the marker, the closer are the samples in term of TMRCA, even if
                                                        they belong to different haplogroups.
                                                        I think that in general, clustering a group of sample can results in
                                                        some dubious cases anytime we face with not pure or not
                                                        straightforward sample.
                                                        Anyway we need to rely on the tools we have, it is only important to
                                                        know the weak point of every tool as well the strong points, and to
                                                        extract from every tool only what they can.

                                                        Regards.

                                                        Alessandro.